Most competitive specialty programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herodontist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'd really appreciate some info. I know that some specialty programs are tougher to get into than others, so which are the most competitive endo and pros programs? and why- as in faculty, reputation or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

herodontist said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'd really appreciate some info. I know that some specialty programs are tougher to get into than others, so which are the most competitive endo and pros programs? and why- as in faculty, reputation or something else?
this is from what i've heard and my own experience...
pros: UWash, UConn, Mayo, UTSan Antonio, UIowa, . These are competitive cuz of the structure and scope of the programs, stipends and reupted faculty.
endoO; from what i've heard....UT San Antonio, VCU, Nova, Columbia, LSU....there could be more, but i guess someone else will surely answer them for you.

Thanks for your input, SimpleDoc...looking forward to more responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
san antonio pros - very rigorous residency, big name faculty, very nice maxillofacial prosthetics clinic

san antonio endo - arguably 2 of the top endodontists in the world (in terms of research and notariety), killer clinic w/all the bells and whistles, super super competetive to get into, $$$$$$$ research well funded

From what I here, every program in San Antonio is top notch.

texas_dds said:
san antonio pros - very rigorous residency, big name faculty, very nice maxillofacial prosthetics clinic

san antonio endo - arguably 2 of the top endodontists in the world (in terms of research and notariety), killer clinic w/all the bells and whistles, super super competetive to get into, $$$$$$$ research well funded

"Everything's better in Texas", right? ;)

drben said:
"Everything's better in Texas", right? ;)

Thats very true, but also...

Everything is bigger. ;)

better??

i thought it was just bigger.. which doesn't correlate to better :)

From what I understand, UCSF is one of the most highly regarded Endo programs in the country. I've heard the same can be said of San Antonio Pros.

rocknightmare said:
better??

i thought it was just bigger.. which doesn't correlate to better :)
Spoken like someone who has been to Wichita Falls.....

Thanks for your input, everyone...UTSan Antonio tops most lists as yet, I see...any more contenders out there?

yea bigger is, uh, better

like 3 tx cities in the top 10 fattest american cities :eek:

i didnt mean to hijack this thread w/all the san antonio stuff
seriously though its a good place to learn

I'd say UT Houston has an excellent endo program. Wonderful faculty and each resident has their own operatory with their own digital stuff etc. Plus they do accept students immediately out of dental school which is uncommon. Having said that, I'm sure it is quite competitive accepting only 2 students/yr each with top marks. Houston's Prosth program is at the other end of the spectrum (along with most prosth programs no doubt). I think you just have to call them up to reserve your residency spot for the upcoming year. Anyone need the number?

Rezdawg said:
Thats very true, but also...

Everything is bigger. ;)
that's right! you can believe it! (speaking from my own personal experience ;) )

ISU_Steve said:
Wichita Falls sucks! They call that Falls? :confused: more like a water fountain!

DDSSlave said:
Houston's Prosth program is at the other end of the spectrum (along with most prosth programs no doubt). I think you just have to call them up to reserve your residency spot for the upcoming year. Anyone need the number?

:laugh: is that really true? why is it so bad?

simpledoc said:
:laugh: is that really true? why is it so bad?

I imagine this applies to many if not most prosth programs in the country, but most of our prosth residents were trained in latin american dental schools. I'm sure some or all are excellent dentists, but the program itself isn't very competitive. I will say UT-Houston probably has THE best maxillofacial prosth fellowship program which is HQ at MD Anderson [Cancer] Hospital. So, if someone was interested in that, I suppose the residency might be worth it.

I will say everything else at UT Houston is top notch. I think we have one of the best Ortho and OMFS programs in the country. Endo and Pedo are also excellent. Perio is getting much better, but still can't compete with San Antonio.

Wonder why pros programs are not that competitive- is it because pros is the bread, butter and jam of a GP's practice and so he rarely refers it out? So are all the pros programs emphasizing on maxillofacial now? Aren't there any strong pros programs with an emphasis on fixed and implant prosthodontics?
Thanks for your input, everyone. Texas has dominated most lists, but the first list on this thread also mentioned UConn, UWash, LSU and VCU- comments on these? Additions?

herodontist said:

I understand Mayo pros is one of the best around...and not just because the stipend talks ($40K+?). A guy that just graduated from UNC is heading there to start pros this summer and was extremely impressed with it. For what it's worth.

DDSSlave said:
Houston's Prosth program is at the other end of the spectrum (along with most prosth programs no doubt). I think you just have to call them up to reserve your residency spot for the upcoming year. Anyone need the number?

LOL!

jpollei said:
I understand Mayo pros is one of the best around...and not just because the stipend talks ($40K+?). A guy that just graduated from UNC is heading there to start pros this summer and was extremely impressed with it. For what it's worth.

Yup, I heard that too. The Mayo pros program is a year longer than most though- it's 4 years...and it's awesome if you're really into maxillofacial pros, but for the rest, there are supposed to be better programs around.

Nobody's come up with an opinion yet on why pros programs aren't too sought after in recent years...is it 'cause GP's earn packets by doing their own pros and so rarely refer it out, or something else?

ISU_Steve said:

Whats wrong with Wichita Falls, I gre up there lol...I was pretty slow noit much growth if thats what you mean, LOL...