Most complex areas of ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamonddoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I see myself interested in the more complex cases that ortho does. Which field in ortho has the reputation for being more of a "brainier" field? please don't start with the ortho jokes.

Members don't see this ad.

You can find complex cases in all areas.

Spine surgery-what can be more complex that screws and rods millimeters away from the spinal cord

Hand-microvascular & tendon repair

Trauma- Acetabullar fractures and almost anything can be traumatized enough to become complicated

Tumor- Some amazing procudures

Dude if you knew what was up then you would realize that ortho is Brainy. Why the hell do you think they only take the cream of the crop. First of all although it is not medicine there is a load of biomechanics and technical aspects when you instrument any bone in the body with hardware ( alignment, screw size, type, plate type etc..) . Secondly many of the fields in ortho that you may think are not brainy such as Sports, really are. Take the shoulder for example, the shoulder is not figured out, we have barely only c=began to understand the mechanisms of shoulder pathology. ALso talk to a sport guy who just cam out of fellowship, they are smart as ****!. And if you are so arrogant as to think Ortho is not Brainy i=enough for you as a whole get out of here your probably a tool that belongs in radiology or something writing reports for bone images that arent even read by orthopods because we know we can read an xray, mri way better than these dorky f'ers. That said Ortho is brainy man, and if you dont see it your in for a big surprise.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry didntr mean to call you out. I was just very p[assionate about the topic. good luck with your stuff.

Dude if you knew what was up then you would realize that ortho is Brainy. Why the hell do you think they only take the cream of the crop. First of all although it is not medicine there is a load of biomechanics and technical aspects when you instrument any bone in the body with hardware ( alignment, screw size, type, plate type etc..) . Secondly many of the fields in ortho that you may think are not brainy such as Sports, really are. Take the shoulder for example, the shoulder is not figured out, we have barely only c=began to understand the mechanisms of shoulder pathology. ALso talk to a sport guy who just cam out of fellowship, they are smart as ****!. And if you are so arrogant as to think Ortho is not Brainy i=enough for you as a whole get out of here your probably a tool that belongs in radiology or something writing reports for bone images that arent even read by orthopods because we know we can read an xray, mri way better than these dorky f'ers. That said Ortho is brainy man, and if you dont see it your in for a big surprise.

Although he talks like he’s from the West Side, he’s 100% correct.

Look, every aspect of orthopaedics is challenging. Think about reconstructing a trimalleolar ankle fracture in a 22 yo female and tell me that’s 'less brainy' than managing someone’s CHF exacerbation or their TIA (big aspirin vs. little aspirin).

Every field of orthopaedics has cases that make you think till your gyri are sore. I really get tired of these pompous non-ortho M.D.s and laypeople who think that nailing a tibia is like nailing a 2X4. Well, next time your home project comes into your living room with pus spilling out of it and flopping around like a fish because you did a shoddy job and it dynamized your repair, you let me know and I’ll agree that ortho is like carpentry.

In the meantime, I’ll rest assured that I am one of the best trained, brightest physicians in the world and that what I do is so far beyond anything that non-surgical M.D.s are doing. Remember, we make limps go away, cure pain, make crooked kids straight and can fix the worst event in many people’s lives. If you still think that we do all that with anencephaly, then go do something else.

If you like ortho, and want to use your head all of the time, consider adult reconstruction, trauma, hand, or maybe spine. If you are fellowship trained in these fields, you become the doctor's doc for complex cases that take a sound knowledge of basic sciences, experience, and a HUGE amount of creativity. These cases can be fun, but it takes a very well trained surgeon to put a hip into a patient that has a failed revised total hip with massive bone loss, soft tissue contractures, and bony instability. Add to the mix an infection, or perhaps a person who refuses blood transfusions - well, you get the idea.