Most Efficient Approach to RC...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheHITMAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan teaches the Roadmap strategy and so far, every practice exam that i've done using that strategy I have run out of time. You have to skim the passage, write the topic, keywords and then read the questions, look at your roadmap and find the answer.....it doesn't save you that much time.

I decided to change my approach completely and started reading the questions first and finding the answers. I find that not only am i finishing in time, but i'm scoring 80% on my Kaplan online tests (which is about a 20/21).

I don't now whether that's the same thing as the search and destroy but would that method work on the actual DAT or are the passages SUPER complicated?

Members don't see this ad.

That is search and destroy, and yes it works on the real thing. The only problem you run into is "what is the author's tone regarding...?" But you can usually get that from the first and last paragraphs. I think search and destroy is by far the best method. The passages are no more complicated than the practices from Kaplan and Topscore.

That is search and destroy, and yes it works on the real thing. The only problem you run into is "what is the author's tone regarding...?" But you can usually get that from the first and last paragraphs. I think search and destroy is by far the best method. The passages are no more complicated than the practices from Kaplan and Topscore.

I agree. Search and destroy is the only way to go. Tone questions are a toss up, but thats the 20% you may get wrong anyways. All the detail questions are easssy if you are willing to come back to questions.

Any1 have any other strategies that work for them?

now the question still remains, should you read the passage before and skim it or just dive right into the questions??? i usually skim read it pretty fast just to get a sense of what the passage is about...what do you guys suggest??? thanks

I agree. Search and destroy is the only way to go. Tone questions are a toss up, but thats the 20% you may get wrong anyways. All the detail questions are easssy if you are willing to come back to questions.

Any1 have any other strategies that work for them?
I do Kaplan method and I still score 20 on their tests

When I took the real thing I had more than 40% of tone, main idea, title type of questions. I was so not prepared for it. Any1 knows how to study for those type of questions?