- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Hematology / Oncology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Most high yield way to learn Hem/onc
Started by CD15
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Nope.
Just like in residency....read about your patients.
NCCN Guidelines
Hopefully your program has a series of "bootcamp" style fellows lectures early in the year.
Just like in residency....read about your patients.
NCCN Guidelines
Hopefully your program has a series of "bootcamp" style fellows lectures early in the year.
I have used ASCO-SEP but mainly for questions. NCCN is a great source as pointed above, Uptodate on the go and in the clinic along with NCCN but when I am free
I go to ASCO University and do Tumor boards online, they are pretty good and comprehensive. If you do all this you should be fine.
I go to ASCO University and do Tumor boards online, they are pretty good and comprehensive. If you do all this you should be fine.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ASCO-SEP. ASH has a similar one but I didn't board in Heme so I don't remember the name of it.Any Board reviews or Question banks to help us prepare for heme/Onc ITE??
But honestly, I'd go into the first one cold. Figure out your baseline.
I'm a first year hem/onc fellow.
What resources can I use to learn clinical aspect of onc?
I looked at ASCO-SAP and felt it was too convoluted. Is there anything similar to First Aid?
Something with a lot of tables and concise algorithms?
Hemoncreview d o t com is a new website? Might be what you're looking for.
It's not new. I used it to study for boards 4 years ago (and have mentioned it multiple times here). It's pretty decent. And a bargain at twice the price.Hemoncreview d o t com is a new website? Might be what you're looking for.
I don't know about fellowship, but as a resident the "How I Treat" series in Blood were an invaluable resource both as a quick overview for rounds and also before targeted lectures on our BMT/liquids service. For solids I used NCCN guidelines only and it was good enough.
ASCO-SEP. ASH has a similar one but I didn't board in Heme so I don't remember the name of it.
ASH-SAP.
It's not new. I used it to study for boards 4 years ago (and have mentioned it multiple times here). It's pretty decent. And a bargain at twice the price.
Hemoncreview qbank is new, it is made by faculty from Stanford and Utah and looks like it was started in 2017.
Hem Onc Qbank (HOQ) which sounds similar, is run by a Johns Hopkins faculty. The latter is cheaper and also has really good questions.
Hemoncreview qbank is new, it is made by faculty from Stanford and Utah and looks like it was started in 2017.
Hem Onc Qbank (HOQ) which sounds similar, is run by a Johns Hopkins faculty. The latter is cheaper and also has really good questions.
Yup there are two main question banks. I'm somewhat familiar with both as, although I work mostly in private, I'm affiliated with the university nearby (sort of) and I work preparing fellows for boards there. each question bank has its own pros and cons (P.S I'm not affiliated with either one in any way or shape or form... I just use them now to help create a curriculum)
-The John Hopkins one is good (I used it myself to prepare for boards) and overall more focused on high yield questions but the website is clumsy and not very user friendly.There's no way to track progress or go back to incorrectly answered questions or marked questions ..etc. Also no way to customize tests or number of questions. It's divided by categories of diseases and some blocks have 10 questions and others have 50. Also you can easily tell that it's all written by one person. It does have quite a bit of esoteric questions that are not relevant for boards or practice and they're more like trivia which I always failed to understand their purpose. Some topics are not well represented (BMT and cancer research methodology come to mind) and are relevant for the boards.
- The other one (hemonc review ?? I think) is more user friendly and the website is very well designed. easy to track and go back to questions. It's more expensive. The explanations are mostly very well written with linked references. I do not like most of their questions though. I found them different from board questions in style and material. A lot of questions ask specifics about mOS or %PFS or %path CR after chemo or specific details about staging ..etc. like in a ridiculous way as in: is the 5 year survival to this regimen 35% or 45%? Also in some of their explanations they use data from single institution studies to prove their point. This is never the case on your boards. There're some good questions of course.
just my 2 cents
Any suggestions for an MS4 who is doing an oncology elective? Would something like pocket oncology be good to have for the rotation? Would the MDA manual for medical oncology be reasonable to get for reading during the rotation? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Any suggestions for an MS4 who is doing an oncology elective? Would something like pocket oncology be good to have for the rotation? Would the MDA manual for medical oncology be reasonable to get for reading during the rotation? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
no no none of that. just show up on time and read up on the cases assigned to you. Those resources are not for medical students.
no no none of that. just show up on time and read up on the cases assigned to you. Those resources are not for medical students.
Thank you!
To pass heme:
Read ASH-SAP twice (10 pages/day x 2 months = 1 go around) starting January of third year
Do ASH-SAP questions (good representation)
GW-hematology audios (go through it twice), start the January of third year
By the time June rolls around, you will be ready for the test. Unfortunately, you'll probably be starting work and won't have as much time to study - use weekends for touching up of the board review.
Onc was harder than heme for me.
Read ASH-SAP twice (10 pages/day x 2 months = 1 go around) starting January of third year
Do ASH-SAP questions (good representation)
GW-hematology audios (go through it twice), start the January of third year
By the time June rolls around, you will be ready for the test. Unfortunately, you'll probably be starting work and won't have as much time to study - use weekends for touching up of the board review.
Onc was harder than heme for me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a first year hem/onc fellow.
What resources can I use to learn clinical aspect of onc?
I looked at ASCO-SAP and felt it was too convoluted. Is there anything similar to First Aid?
Something with a lot of tables and concise algorithms?
To your original point, I'd recommend checking out Pocket Oncology by Postow and Drilon. I've used it for 2 years now (onto the second edition) and if you have any semblance of ADHD like me, and get glazed eyes when reading paragraphs on UTD, this book is a helpful birds eye view of what's going on, topic by topic. The pharmacology and CUP sections are amazing. But, it's not perfect (relatively weak on benign heme, e.g., there is nothing on aplastic anemia), and it's not all that up to date (for example, this year's NSCLC chapter didn't even include the 2017 FLAURA trial), but it is very visually pleasing, with a lot of bullets and a lot of tables. Recc kindle version so you can search on the app or on cloud reader, as you are seeing patients -- and allows you to notate as you go with recent abstracts or editorials (e.g., Journal Watch Hem-Onc) And then to do a deep dive then use ASCO SEP, NCCN guidelines, or, gulp, the primary articles!
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 6K