Most Inefficient Surgery Center Ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aether2000

algosdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today was a first- was posted at a surgery center with 10 eye cases scheduled to start at 8:00. Surgeon finally arrives 9:00. Eye block complete in 5 min. Patient waits until 9:50 to enter the OR because the OR nurses could not be located...were outside smoking. Unbelievable!

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Today was a first- was posted at a surgery center with 10 eye cases scheduled to start at 8:00. Surgeon finally arrives 9:00. Eye block complete in 5 min. Patient waits until 9:50 to enter the OR because the OR nurses could not be located...were outside smoking. Unbelievable!

so what time did you finish?

Who owns the store?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know who owns it. We finished our second cataract case at 11:35 with five more to go OMG!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know who owns it. We finished our second cataract case at 11:35 with five more to go OMG!

Dont worry, your 15 hour day will earn you a couple hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Depends if you are hourly or fee for service.

My friend does 40 cataracts by 3pm most days. But out west you be lucky to get $75-100 per cataract.

Better ways to make money in fee for service.

Depends if you are hourly or fee for service.

My friend does 40 cataracts by 3pm most days. But out west you be lucky to get $75-100 per cataract.

Better ways to make money in fee for service.

the math doesn't even make sense there. in an 8 hr day? that's 12min per case, every case. impossible!

the math doesn't even make sense there. in an 8 hr day? that's 12min per case, every case. impossible!
It makes sense if you are bouncing between 2 rooms.

Reactions: 1 users

On medical mission trips we'd do 60 strabismus cases from 7-5 with 1 surgeon. We'd give him 2 work stations with 2 anesthesiologists though. Wake up and put next kid to sleep while he's working at the other table. It was very efficient. The nurses didn't take smoking breaks.

Welcome back to anesthesia Algos!

Last edited:
GAK! I think I would have started looking for objects to bang my head in.

I rotated at an eye center with 4 rooms and 40-50 cases/day as a resident. Started at 0700, and we were done by 3pm, and that was with me doing more than a few retrobulbar blocks. o_O