Most meaningful activity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountainman121

Reaction score
Please don't quote this post.

Hey all,

So I just received my MCAT score and am hoping to submit my primary tomorrow. As of right now, my only designated most meaningful experience is my clinical volunteering position, and I'm struggling to decide if I should go with my gut for the second. The one I keep coming back to is my employment as a country club lifeguard, which I've done for 6 summers since I was 15. Last 3 years I held a leadership position under the manager as welll. I realize denoting lifeguarding as one of my most meaningful activities could be seen by many as silly, but I am thinking I could talk more about how I developed responsibility from holding a job, learned to work with a variety of coworkers, some good and some bad, and what I learned from my leadership position. The only other activity I would consider as potentially most meaningful is an online tutoring position I started after COVID hit, but most of my hours are projected through November so I'm not too confident about using that. I'm trying to avoid bs in any way on my app but I am concerned about the stigma/optics of it being lifeguarding and don't want to look foolish. Would appreciate any advice/insight on this question. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right but I don’t think I realistically have 3 really good ones that aren’t going to be fluff is my problem
Hmm. You could always do one or two, but if you only have one I would wonder if your resume has enough on it to be appealing to schools. Idk

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. You could always do one or two, but if you only have one I would wonder if your resume has enough on it to be appealing to schools. Idk
I mean I have 3 that I could pick and write about I’m just worried about inflating/exaggerating anything I did. I’m a decent stats (520/3.6)/weak EC applicant so the activities section has been the most difficult part of my application. Maybe I’m just overthinking though

What you said about being a lifeguard would make a fine MME.

Why do you think writing an MME about being a lifeguard would be silly? there is no requirement, expectation, or consideration, that a most meaningful experience must be related to healthcare , research, academics, or similar. It is to give you a chance to show what event or activity had significant impact to you as a person, what you got from it, and what traits, characteristics, and attributes it shows about you.
After sleeping on it I agreed with you and listed it as a MME. Thank you for your advice!

Why do you think writing an MME about being a lifeguard would be silly? there is no requirement, expectation, or consideration, that a most meaningful experience must be related to healthcare , research, academics, or similar. It is to give you a chance to show what event or activity had significant impact to you as a person, what you got from it, and what traits, characteristics, and attributes it shows about you.
What you said about being a lifeguard would make a fine MME.
FWIW, I agree with these comments.