Most meaningful experiences for MD PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herm208

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have started writing my activity descriptions for the upcoming MD PhD cycle and I have run into a dilemma in designating which experiences to make most meaningful. I have two fairly extensive research experiences that I will be listing. One of them is my first experience during undergrad and is around 4000 hours (3 years during undergrad including full time work during the summers). The second is for my current lab (currently a postbac at the NIH and will have spent one year here before I apply and two years by the time of matriculation, so around 4500 hours projected out). I have been contemplating listing both of these as most meaningful in my activities section (with the third most meaningful being a clinical volunteering activity).

I am a bit worried about designating research as 2/3 of my most meaningful experiences and placing too much emphasis on research. But I would be lying if I said those weren't 2/3 of the most meaningful activities that have confirmed my desire to be a physician scientist (and this is very clear given the amount of hours spent on these two activities compared to the rest). I was just curious if anyone had any advice on if designating both would be okay or not.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey - I'm actually doing the same thing: 1 activity is undergrad research, 1 is NIH research (I'm also a postbac ;)), and the last activity is clinical volunteering at a hospital. I think this setup is fine as long as you have some other experiences to talk about in your 15 activities section (they don't need to be most meaningful). I only think it's a red flag if you don't mark research and clinical experiences as 2 of your most meaningful. The third most meaningful activity should be whatever you want :) At least that's the way I'm interpreting things.

I designated two research experiences as most meaningful myself and am having a successful cycle FWIW.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I have started writing my activity descriptions for the upcoming MD PhD cycle and I have run into a dilemma in designating which experiences to make most meaningful. I have two fairly extensive research experiences that I will be listing. One of them is my first experience during undergrad and is around 4000 hours (3 years during undergrad including full time work during the summers). The second is for my current lab (currently a postbac at the NIH and will have spent one year here before I apply and two years by the time of matriculation, so around 4500 hours projected out). I have been contemplating listing both of these as most meaningful in my activities section (with the third most meaningful being a clinical volunteering activity).

I am a bit worried about designating research as 2/3 of my most meaningful experiences and placing too much emphasis on research. But I would be lying if I said those weren't 2/3 of the most meaningful activities that have confirmed my desire to be a physician scientist (and this is very clear given the amount of hours spent on these two activities compared to the rest). I was just curious if anyone had any advice on if designating both would be okay or not.

Thanks!
No one will care that you do that. Don't worry you're good.

I think the overarching theme should what experiences most strongly influenced your desire to pursue MD/PhD. Logically then, it makes sense to include one from the lab and one from the clinic. My third was a non clinical community service experience with significant continuity that made me more mindful about humility. I'm having a successful cycle. Don't overthink it - as long as you have a cohesive story you'll be fine.

Remember, applicants need to pass both MD and PhD side committee members, therefore, no most meaningful in clinical experience may hurt you at the MD side.

Remember, applicants need to pass both MD and PhD side committee members, therefore, no most meaningful in clinical experience may hurt you at the MD side.
Not in our program... However, it is safer to have 2 most meaningful experiences from research areas and one from some clinical/volunteering standpoint. I have seen successful (across board not just us) applications with the other experience being a hobby/varsity that means work ethic/dedication to something.

Reactions: 2 users
How important is it for the clinical most significant experience to be explicitly traditional clinical work like shadowing/hospital volunteering? I have a long-term activity (several thousand hours) that is not categorized as clinical, but clinical work was a sizable part of the experience (I was trained in first aid & basic life support). Can I emphasize the clinical aspect of this activity as my clinical MSE?

I think I am having trouble distinguishing between the most significant experiences for my personal growth and MSE for my career growth.