Most technically challenging procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know which are the hardest procedures in urology? Those than could only be done by experienced, talented and hard working surgeons...
Thanks a lot for your answers! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

My father is a Urologist, and I often ask him this question. He claims cystectomies can be a challenge to even experienced urologist. It's an apparently long, long surgery to perform with a lot of delicacy involved.

I scrubbed into a subtotal cystectomy recently... more than four hour procedure. Pretty stinkin complex

Simple question that I didnt want to start a new thread for. What are the open approaches to radical prostatectomy? As far as I know theres retropubic (which I assume is the same as suprapubic), and theres perineal. Is that it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I scrubbed into a subtotal cystectomy recently... more than four hour procedure. Pretty stinkin complex

Simple question that I didnt want to start a new thread for. What are the open approaches to radical prostatectomy? As far as I know theres retropubic (which I assume is the same as suprapubic), and theres perineal. Is that it?

Only two ways to do an open radical prostatectomy - retropubic and perineal.

Simple prostatectomies are either suprapubic (thru the bladder) or retropubic (thru the prostatic capsule). Each is done thru a retropubic skin incision.

Only two ways to do an open radical prostatectomy - retropubic and perineal.

Simple prostatectomies are either suprapubic (thru the bladder) or retropubic (thru the prostatic capsule). Each is done thru a retropubic skin incision.

Thanks much for the clarification.

I'd have to agree with cystectomies being the most challenging. Granted, I'm a medical student interested in urology - but the few procedures I've scrubbed for, it's certainly the longest. 4-8 hours depending on anatomy, size of the individual, # of nodes taken, and diversion chosen.

persistent cloaca or cloacal exstrophy repair is much much harder than a cystectomy (even witha neobladder)