You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Most underrated medical school
Started by DoctorB
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I know its graduates only match at military residency programs, but I'm going to go with USUHS.
EDIT: I guess I should provide some justification:
- Curriculum is on par with all other allo schools, with added training in Emergency Medicine, Preventive Medicine, and Infectious Diseases
- Incredible relationship with and support from the NIH
- Simulation center that is far superior to most of the ones I have seen at top ranked medical schools
- High level of camaraderie among like-minded students who have a desire to serve
- I would MAKE $212,000 over the course of my four years at med school, with ZERO monetary debt (yes, I realize I would owe 7 years)
BTW, I knew all of this about the school before applying and interviewing, and it most certainly was not a "backup" school!
EDIT: I guess I should provide some justification:
- Curriculum is on par with all other allo schools, with added training in Emergency Medicine, Preventive Medicine, and Infectious Diseases
- Incredible relationship with and support from the NIH
- Simulation center that is far superior to most of the ones I have seen at top ranked medical schools
- High level of camaraderie among like-minded students who have a desire to serve
- I would MAKE $212,000 over the course of my four years at med school, with ZERO monetary debt (yes, I realize I would owe 7 years)
BTW, I knew all of this about the school before applying and interviewing, and it most certainly was not a "backup" school!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gw Vcu And Evms!
Gotta give props to my school. We are unranked and pretty off the radar because out of state applicants are not accepted (unless their parent attended the medschool). Our proffessors care so much about us and put so much effort into teaching us. I think this is actually a function of a smaller research dollar intake so we have proffessors that want to and have the time to really teach us well instead of having their primary concern being their research. There is plenty to get involved in, but its definitely not the dominant concern of the school in general. We have a simulation lab thats awesome and we were actually one of the first schools to do this and we have clinical experience in the first year thats motivating and interesting but not overwhelming on top of the basic sciences. We have a really nice class where I never feel like I need to watch my back and everyone is helpful and trades study guides and useful software/links . . . in general its a very friendly and warm, I felt comfortable even in my interview which felt more like casual conversations with new friends than faculty interviews. Its definitely not the prettiest campus and we don't even currently have useable first floors (Katrina thang) but I wouldn't trade this experience for anywhere else.
Maybe I'm just really messed up (or really pessimistic) but when a school accepts me I, usually have a thought of "huh, they accepted me? Maybe they aren't that hard to get into if I was able to do it." And I start doubting whether or not I want to go there. Anyone else ever have these thoughts?
Note about UNMC though is that they have a bell curve with grades for their students. Yuck.
lol, I think you need more self-esteem. I'd just be ridiculously grateful if anybody takes me, mostly because I really don't want to wait another year

And right now I really want Downstate to take me so I can stay in the city and pay instate tuition.
MIT doesn't have a medical school program, last I heard.
Dude I just accepted you to my undergrad, med school, and residency program. Know why? Your PEOPLE skills.
Wayne State University. And the University of Baghdad.
Vcu
UC-Davis, but I think it's going to start climbing now that they just built a new medical center. It's always been known to be clinically stellar, but now it'll start getting more funds for research.
I have to agree with you. The new facilities are beautiful and they have the second highest primary care rank of all the UCs. I'd bet that in the next few years, their research rank will climb as well.
What about the University of Arizona? The university itself is one of the top research institutions in the world, and arguably THE top (or top five) in certain areas, such as astrophysics(recieving more Nasa funding that any other school in the country). The medical college is very research heavy, and they are in the proccess of completing a beautiful second campus in downtown Phoenix in in partnership with the Translational Genomics Research Institute. Allong with UNM, they probably train more Native American Mds than any other school in the nation. Maybe you dont hear it mentioned on here too much because they only consider applications from Arizona residents and residents of western states that lack a medical school.
MIT doesn't have a medical school program, last I heard.
It kinda/sorta does. The MD program through Harvard-MIT HST is pretty much considered to be "MIT Med School". Actually, there is a information session about it over our winter session called "Medical School at MIT?"
Maybe I'm just really messed up (or really pessimistic) but when a school accepts me I, usually have a thought of "huh, they accepted me? Maybe they aren't that hard to get into if I was able to do it." And I start doubting whether or not I want to go there. Anyone else ever have these thoughts?
I absolutely do the same thing, although in my case I believe am justified in thinking this way. Then I look at the other students I see getting interviews or acceptances at my schools and I think that I have just been freakishly lucky in this process. It's strange how I always need to look at everyone else in order to measure my own worth.
Are you Catholic or a Calvinist? I was raised both. Hooray for nice heaping doses of shame and guilt with a spoonfull of self-loathing while growing up.
Dad was raised Calvinist, so I got a serving of that. My parents were quirky, anyway. Most parents brag about their kids... mine, well, they did the opposite. 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It kinda/sorta does. The MD program through Harvard-MIT HST is pretty much considered to be "MIT Med School". Actually, there is a information session about it over our winter session called "Medical School at MIT?"
HST is underrated?!? They are pretty much regarded as THE best around the world for research/mdphD. I don't know about it being exclusively the "MIT med school" though...the administration is primarily MIT, yes, but the facilities are mainly Harvard's (i.e. MGH in Charleston). I'd say its an equal mix. And you have to apply through Harvard to go to the med school, anyways.
Gotta give props to my school. We are unranked and pretty off the radar because out of state applicants are not accepted (unless their parent attended the medschool). Our proffessors care so much about us and put so much effort into teaching us. I think this is actually a function of a smaller research dollar intake so we have proffessors that want to and have the time to really teach us well instead of having their primary concern being their research. There is plenty to get involved in, but its definitely not the dominant concern of the school in general. We have a simulation lab thats awesome and we were actually one of the first schools to do this and we have clinical experience in the first year thats motivating and interesting but not overwhelming on top of the basic sciences. We have a really nice class where I never feel like I need to watch my back and everyone is helpful and trades study guides and useful software/links . . . in general its a very friendly and warm, I felt comfortable even in my interview which felt more like casual conversations with new friends than faculty interviews. Its definitely not the prettiest campus and we don't even currently have useable first floors (Katrina thang) but I wouldn't trade this experience for anywhere else.
That's wassup psipsina. I never thought about the effect of the research dollar but you have a very good point. I saw that simulation lab when I was in high school and I was blown away!!! Not to mention, yall do have some big researchers down there that I've heard about who are doing some pretty noteworthy things. Even with the hurricane, the school is still standing strong..gotta respect that.
WashU is probably underrated. Who's ever heard of WashU? But then again...there they sit at #4 and all the vibe from people who've actually been there...
meh. Who wants to live in the Pacific Northwest?
WashU is probably underrated. Who's ever heard of WashU? But then again...there they sit at #4 and all the vibe from people who've actually been there...
meh. Who wants to live in the Pacific Northwest?
Please, who wouldn't want to live in the Pacific Northwest? But he meant Washington University in St. Louis, not UW.
Please, who wouldn't want to live in the Pacific Northwest? But he meant Washington University in St. Louis, not UW.
🙄
I know its graduates only match at military residency programs, but I'm going to go with USUHS.
- I would MAKE $212,000 over the course of my four years at med school, with ZERO monetary debt
Holy S#$^&%! I should have applied there.
yes, I realize I would owe 7 years
Oh, never mind. j/k If you are in the military, I think this is the only way to go. Plus I heard you are much more likely to match coming from USUHS.
E
Eric Lindros
Their research is comparable to most of the top 1-10 schools. Their match list is also phenomenal. As is their hospital system. To me, they are better in most categories than schools like Yale, Baylor, UCSD, and Cornell, all of which are ranked higher.
Thus, they are underrated.
Those who call Pitt overrated do so because they hate the city of Pittsburgh. I don't know that I blame them, but this should have nothing to do with evaluating how "good" a medical school is (case in point--Hopkins).
Dude, Pitt is ranked in the top 15. It's not underrated.
You're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazzzzzy.
You're also more likely to spend most of that 7 years in places that you probably wouldn't go on a vacation.Holy S#$^&%! I should have applied there.
Oh, never mind. j/k If you are in the military, I think this is the only way to go. Plus I heard you are much more likely to match coming from USUHS.
8
8744
A lot of people smack schools and praise others without knowing anything about the school. Clearly certain schols have reputations. Have you applied to any "back up schools" (I have found out that this concept doesn't exist), visited the campus, researched the school, and actually been shocked at how sweet the school actually is?
I am tempted to ask if anyone has an experience with the opposite situation but I am afraid this may turn into a "trash other schools" thread. Tastefull answers please.
The most under-rated medical school has got to be Harvard. We are talking Osteopathic schools, right?
From what I hear University of Chicago is underrated...seems like it is more respected than it is ranked
Agreed. I think their lower ranking may come from their accepting lots of non-trads with less than perfect stats.
AECOM and USC !
I think AECOM is completely OVER-rated, not under-rated. I was so not at all impressed by anything there, not to mention the location...ick.
I do agree with Rochester though. It's an amazing school, doesn't get enough press cause it's in the middle of nowhere I think.
Similar threads
J
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
J