1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Most useful/beneficial year of medical education

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by WADO, Aug 5, 2011.

1. WADO

WADO ZZzzzz...
    2+ Year Member

I aksed this elsewhere but got little response, so I figured I would pop the question here since I'm interested in IM.

I guess the question is geared towards those that have already graduated. I will be an MS-2 this fall but I don't feel as though I learned all that much as an MS-1. I mean, yes, I "learned" a lot in terms of basic sciences but the clincally-related stuff seems pretty disjointed. The only thing I feel I learned to do during first year was learn how to run through the motions of a physical but that's really about it.

At what point along your education were you able to learn the most that you are actually able to apply as a competent physician?
    Also, was there any point where it just came together and made sense?

Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So far, for me, the most valuable year always seems to be the one I'm in.

7 years in and I feel like I've finally just started my real medical training in fellowship.

4. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What he said. I would say that your first year of anything (clinical portion of med school, internship, fellowship, attending) is probably the highest yield of that particular portion of your education/training. But seriously, they're all valuable.

5. infarct

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. OveractiveBrain

Removed 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    4th year of medical school. God I learned so much about Call of Duty then...