Most useful/beneficial year of medical education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WADO

ZZzzzz...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I aksed this elsewhere but got little response, so I figured I would pop the question here since I'm interested in IM.

I guess the question is geared towards those that have already graduated. I will be an MS-2 this fall but I don't feel as though I learned all that much as an MS-1. I mean, yes, I "learned" a lot in terms of basic sciences but the clincally-related stuff seems pretty disjointed. The only thing I feel I learned to do during first year was learn how to run through the motions of a physical but that's really about it.

At what point along your education were you able to learn the most that you are actually able to apply as a competent physician?
Also, was there any point where it just came together and made sense?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I aksed this elsewhere but got little response, so I figured I would pop the question here since I'm interested in IM.

I guess the question is geared towards those that have already graduated. I will be an MS-2 this fall but I don't feel as though I learned all that much as an MS-1. I mean, yes, I "learned" a lot in terms of basic sciences but the clincally-related stuff seems pretty disjointed. The only thing I feel I learned to do during first year was learn how to run through the motions of a physical but that's really about it.

At what point along your education were you able to learn the most that you are actually able to apply as a competent physician?
Also, was there any point where it just came together and made sense?

Thanks in advance.

So far, for me, the most valuable year always seems to be the one I'm in.

7 years in and I feel like I've finally just started my real medical training in fellowship.

So far, for me, the most valuable year always seems to be the one I'm in.

7 years in and I feel like I've finally just started my real medical training in fellowship.

What he said. I would say that your first year of anything (clinical portion of med school, internship, fellowship, attending) is probably the highest yield of that particular portion of your education/training. But seriously, they're all valuable.

Members don't see this ad :)
What he said. I would say that your first year of anything (clinical portion of med school, internship, fellowship, attending) is probably the highest yield of that particular portion of your education/training. But seriously, they're all valuable.

4th year of medical school. God I learned so much about Call of Duty then...