1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

Most useful/beneficial year of medical education

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by WADO, Aug 5, 2011.

1. WADO

WADO ZZzzzz...
    2+ Year Member

I aksed this elsewhere but got little response, so I figured I would pop the question here since I'm interested in IM.

I guess the question is geared towards those that have already graduated. I will be an MS-2 this fall but I don't feel as though I learned all that much as an MS-1. I mean, yes, I "learned" a lot in terms of basic sciences but the clincally-related stuff seems pretty disjointed. The only thing I feel I learned to do during first year was learn how to run through the motions of a physical but that's really about it.

At what point along your education were you able to learn the most that you are actually able to apply as a competent physician?
    Also, was there any point where it just came together and made sense?

Thanks in advance.

2. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So far, for me, the most valuable year always seems to be the one I'm in.

7 years in and I feel like I've finally just started my real medical training in fellowship.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What he said. I would say that your first year of anything (clinical portion of med school, internship, fellowship, attending) is probably the highest yield of that particular portion of your education/training. But seriously, they're all valuable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. infarct

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  5. OveractiveBrain

Removed 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    4th year of medical school. God I learned so much about Call of Duty then...