motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basilisk312

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...
i know that all of you had to be very motovated to get as far as you have. i just don't feel like studying sometimes and am a big procastinator...i get my readings done the weekend of the exam for any exam.......do any of you have any tips to keep me focused on studying???? bc i do alot of socializes but not enough studying.

Members don't see this ad.

basilisk,
i totally hear ya. i found out that my biggest enemy was myself when it came to school. i can say for myself that a lot of times i was never motivated to study stuff so i never worked hard at some classes; its has nothing to do with smarts.

1. Know yourself and study your bad habits well. Correct a problem when you see it starting. Ex. i knew that if i left university too early, i would not study when i got home and that day would become a waste
2. Dont wait for friends to study with you, set designated break times! I used to always hear that study for 50-60 minute intervals and follow it up with a short-relaxing 10-15 minute break.
3. Get yourself into a routine, and reward yourself.
4. Stop daydreamin about girls ( :laugh: ), or guys and sit away from "distractions"
5. While your studying, say a word like "focus" when you realize your mind is wandering. I usually try & feel negative if get day-dreaming.
6. i think about not letting the competition beat me at something that i can do just as well, how much i pay in school, etc....and try to refelect on the importance

hope that helps!

Originally posted by HighlyFanatic

5. While your studying, say a word like "focus" when you realize your mind is wandering. I usually try & feel negative if get day-dreaming.
I've also seen the variant, "Be here now", to say to yourself when you start drifting off. It sounds just weird enough that it gets my attention. Surprisingly, it works for me. ;)

For longer-term motivation I have a tiny post-it note on my wall that says "I want to be an optometrist, dammit". Whenever I get tired of studying and want to goof off, I look at that to remind me of why I'm doing all this. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
couple of things helps me stay focused

1. keep a sheet of paper next to you while you study and if a thought comes to mind (i.e things you need to get done that day) just write it down on that sheet of paper and tell yourself you'll do it after you study......put whatever thought you have thats distracting you on that sheet of paper and tell yourself you'll get to it later....

2. when you see yourself drift off into deep thought (this may sound silly but it works!)
just say (to yourself) "BE HERE NOW"

"B.E H.E.R.E N.O.W" and continue studying

3. this is probably most important: (and HF touched on this)
get yourself in a routine. designate times for yourself to study, dont study randomly......be specific on times that you do study...

hay, my OAT was in the 90th percentile b/c I just could'nt take my eyes off my goal.......
hope this helps.

Hey Highly Fanatic,

Just on the subject...on the word "FOCUS" are you the one who wrote this word in one of the cubicules at Med Sci Library, bottom floor, left side of the library???? Because it definitely did help me study for my cell biol final..... Just wondering....

Originally posted by gilann
Hey Highly Fanatic,

Just on the subject...on the word "FOCUS" are you the one who wrote this word in one of the cubicules at Med Sci Library, bottom floor, left side of the library???? Because it definitely did help me study for my cell biol final..... Just wondering....

:wow: i usually sat on tables, bottom floor med-sci (but that cubicle .... hehe). i apologize for the writing :laugh: but im sure im not the only one to write focus

Hey Highly fanatic,

no...we don't know each other...I read thru some old posts and made a mental note that you were a student from UA and heading off to Houston. When you posted the "focus" pointer to the pre-opt student, I just figured maybe it was a coincidence you wrote it.

I'm a regular SDN ghost stalker...and finally had a comment to write about. :p :laugh:

Originally posted by HighlyFanatic
:wow: i usually sat on tables, bottom floor med-sci (but that cubicle .... hehe). i apologize for the writing :laugh: but im sure im not the only one to write focus
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hehehehehe.

My wife, at the time girlfriend, made me a sign when I was a sophmore in undergrad when I was really stressed out, that says:

First it is Impossible...
Then it is Difficult...
Finally...it is DONE!

I still have that same sign hanging on my desk. It has gotten me through many classes.

Originally posted by rpames
My wife, at the time girlfriend, made me a sign when I was a sophmore in undergrad when I was really stressed out, that says:

First it is Impossible...
Then it is Difficult...
Finally...it is DONE!

I still have that same sign hanging on my desk. It has gotten me through many classes.
I really like that! Mind if I use it in my sig? :)