motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnabavet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to start a thread about the little things we can all do to motivate ourselves to keep pushing toward the goal. My trick: I go on the AVMA job search engine and enter the details for my absolute dream job. No matter that job won't be there by the time I graduate. It reminds me of the possibilities, and gives me energy to buckle down and study Biochem. What is your favorite "pick me-up"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My pick-me-up is watching videos on the Vet Ranch YouTube channel of sick animals being nursed back to health.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
I have the audiobook versions of books by James Herriot and Nick Trout - I know they're idealistic, but listening to them makes me feel proud and lucky to be going in to the same field as such nice people!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do the same as you OP! Or start looking up the requirements for some of the board-certifications I'm interested in... even though I'm only in first year :rofl: Whatever gets you through!

Volunteering with animals or in the field... reminds me why I'm putting myself through this!

Get some snuggles in the shelter's kitten nursery. Extra :biglove:when it's a kitten that was sick and/or hissing at me days or weeks earlier.

Reactions: 5 users
This sweet little kitten and adorable puppy need all of you to help them stay well - does that motivate you? :)

kittenandpuppy.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Volunteering with animals or in the field... reminds me why I'm putting myself through this!
Same. Honestly, working in the wildlife clinic at school is the only thing that keeps me focused.

I used to look at ACZM boarding info/residencies, but it ended up making me feel worse :p

Reactions: 2 users
Reading these forums, seeing the stories of people getting accepted after multiple attempts and/or obstacles :) Or, just knowing that so many others are currently going through the same application/education process.

Reactions: 3 users
I really don't talk about this too often, in society it's actually frowned upon to talk about it, but I wanted to tell my story. Maybe it'll help someone else along the way. But my baby boy is my inspiration and motivation almost every day.

ImageUploadedBySDN1484308911.432087.jpg

Now I'll explain why. Trigger warning btw.

When I had just turned 17, that summer I was raped by my "best friend's" 22 year old boyfriend. I was devastated and heartbroken. I didn't feel like I had the power to say no, and I hated my life because of it. I entered my senior year of HS essentially alone, with this large glooming secret over me and constantly remembering that I'm a slut and a ***** and everything else that he told me. A combination of that and of 6 AP classes and band and feeling alone and everything else all added up to me being very depressed. So depressed that on one day, January 24th (will be 3 years from now in a couple days), I took a gun from my parent's room while they were at work and I locked myself in my room with it. Miserable and depressed, I held the gun straight to my head and prepared to shoot myself and end my life. Mere seconds before I did, my dog, the one in the picture, was frantically scratching my door, whining, and demanding to be let in my room. I broke down. Hard. I know it sound stupid but I felt love for the first time in a long time. That if I died, my dog would miss me, even if no one else did. So I put the gun down and loved my dog. Since then, my puppers has been my support force and he's always been there for me. Since then, I have only considered suicide once, but never attempted again. He is my rock and my support and I would do anything to help him. But he's 8 years old now, and I'm terrified of how I'm going to feel when he dies. So my motivation is to help dogs like him, who mean the world to people, who have saved us in so many ways, and who love us whole heartedly every day.

Reactions: 18 users
@cdoconn, I cannot imagine going through what you went through...There are so many things I want to say about that *expletive* scumbag. You are so brave for sharing your story; I know it must not have been easy. I know all of us here at SDN are very thankful for your pupper, too. :love:I can empathize with the depression. My dogs were and are my support when I felt utterly alone. They are part of my motivation, too, because I see so many animals abandoned, alone, and neglected and see my dogs loved, healthy, and happy...I want to help the broken. *hugs*

@cdoconn, I cannot imagine going through what you went through...There are so many things I want to say about that *expletive* scumbag. You are so brave for sharing your story; I know it must not have been easy. I know all of us here at SDN are very thankful for your pupper, too. :love:I can empathize with the depression. My dogs were and are my support when I felt utterly alone. They are part of my motivation, too, because I see so many animals abandoned, alone, and neglected and see my dogs loved, healthy, and happy...I want to help the broken. *hugs*

Thank you cali_bear! *hugs*

Oh @cdoconn I can't even imagine what you went through. How incredibly strong you had to be to get through that experience. But I'm so incredibly glad you have that dog. It's amazing what they do for us again and again. You will be a wonderful veterinarian.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh @cdoconn I can't even imagine what you went through. How incredibly strong you had to be to get through that experience. But I'm so incredibly glad you have that dog. It's amazing what they do for us again and again. You will be a wonderful veterinarian.
Thank you mmmz. :) I'm so grateful to have him. You will be a wonderful veterinarian as well. <3

@cdoconn You are amazingly strong to go through that and come out the other side. Do not even for a second think that was your fault, it was that d***b**s fault. I am so sorry you've had to deal with this, but you are incredible, and you can do this. I know the fear of losing your puppers when you feel like he means literally everything to you. Just remember he will never really be gone, he will watch over you always. I know life can suck sometimes, but you're strong enough to handle three times the crap of a normal person! I think your future career has little stars all over it! Remember we are always here to support you.

@cdoconn You are amazingly strong to go through that and come out the other side. Do not even for a second think that was your fault, it was that d***b**s fault. I am so sorry you've had to deal with this, but you are incredible, and you can do this. I know the fear of losing your puppers when you feel like he means literally everything to you. Just remember he will never really be gone, he will watch over you always. I know life can suck sometimes, but you're strong enough to handle three times the crap of a normal person! I think your future career has little stars all over it! Remember we are always here to support you.
Awww y'all are making me cry. Thank you so much. <3

Should not have read this thread in the middle of class, too many feelings. I'm so sorry about what you went through cdo, and I am also so glad that your pup was there for you when you needed him. You're going to be a great vet one day, you know we're all rooting for you.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm so sorry @cdoconn no one should ever have to go through that. And I'm glad you are still here, you are too awesome to not be in this world! You are going to be such a wonderful vet and I think everyone here on SDN can agree with me on that.

Also your little pup is so asdfghjkkjg adorable ❤ He deserves to live to his 20s! I can't get over his cute face. He's like "yeah I chose you and now you're stuck with me don't ever forget that." So special to have a dog love you like he does.

Should not have read this thread in the middle of class, too many feelings. I'm so sorry about what you went through cdo, and I am also so glad that your pup was there for you when you needed him. You're going to be a great vet one day, you know we're all rooting for you.

Sorry for giving you the feels WZ. :biglove: pups are the best and Simba is pretty amazing for me. Thank you, sis. <3

I'm so sorry @cdoconn no one should ever have to go through that. And I'm glad you are still here, you are too awesome to not be in this world! You are going to be such a wonderful vet and I think everyone here on SDN can agree with me on that.

Also your little pup is so asdfghjkkjg adorable He deserves to live to his 20s! I can't get over his cute face. He's like "yeah I chose you and now you're stuck with me don't ever forget that." So special to have a dog love you like he does.
Thank you so much snowy. All of y'all kind words mean so much. And he's a cheeky boy. Spoiled as all get out, and he's claimed me as his.
ImageUploadedBySDN1484329276.836639.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
If you're FB friends with me, he's basically 50% of my instagram feed (the rest is mostly travel photos).

PM me! I wanna be FB friends...you'll just have to put up with my fifty hundred million instagram pictures of my cat;)

I don't have anything to add to what all of these lovely people already shared with you, but I just wanted to say that you are amazing for sharing your struggles, @cdoconn. I am so incredibly sorry you had to go through that. I hope one day you will be at peace with yourself knowing that it absolutely was not your fault and no one deserves to be treated like that. I am so glad that your dog was there for you on that somber day. I think we can all relate to that love you and your dog share and I'm sure that love will do a great service to you as a vet.

P.S. Your dog is adorable :love:

I don't have anything to add to what all of these lovely people already shared with you, but I just wanted to say that you are amazing for sharing your struggles, @cdoconn. I am so incredibly sorry you had to go through that. I hope one day you will be at peace with yourself knowing that it absolutely was not your fault and no one deserves to be treated like that. I am so glad that your dog was there for you on that somber day. I think we can all relate to that love you and your dog share and I'm sure that love will do a great service to you as a vet.

P.S. Your dog is adorable :love:

<3 thank you Serher. :)

I'm debating telling him my internet friends think he's adorable because he'll let it get to his head.

Lots of love, glad that your pup was able to get you through that day. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.

Just know that when the time comes that he passes on, you have all the support and love here to lean on if you need. :)

@cdoconn, I was very moved by your story. I am sorry that you endured such a vicious act committed by a seriously hateful and contemptible creature - very sorry! You are a good person and never deserved to be harmed by anyone - never!

Your adorable dog is an inspirational angel. He sensed you were in enormous pain and intervened to remind you that he needed you; and did not want to lose you. His love for you is (and will remain) forever loyal and unconditional.

He needs you as much as you need him. I hope he lives a long happy life and lavishes sweet kisses on you every single day and night. To me, your relationship with him is based on pure love! I am glad you have each other.

I, too, have no doubt that you will be an amazing veterinarian, as well as an "inspiration" to many others. Like everyone else on SDN, you have my sincerest respect, admiration and support. :)

( ( ( cdoconn and her adorable hero dog ) ) )

@cdoconn This made me have happy tears that you made it through to who you are now! I'm so glad your pupper was there for you.

@cdoconn I'm glad you're in a better emotional place now and that your dog offered you comfort and humanity in a time where those things felt out of reach. Pets are such wonderful lanterns in the dark and I hope yours keeps things well illuminated for you for a long time.

I have an attempt under my belt as well and am in a much better place now too - if you ever need to talk my PM box is open.

Lots of love, glad that your pup was able to get you through that day. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.

Just know that when the time comes that he passes on, you have all the support and love here to lean on if you need. :)
thank you so much BBC. Your kind words mean so much! <3

@cdoconn, I was very moved by your story. I am sorry that you endured such a vicious act committed by a seriously hateful and contemptible creature - very sorry! You are a good person and never deserved to be harmed by anyone - never!

Your adorable dog is an inspirational angel. He sensed you were in enormous pain and intervened to remind you that he needed you; and did not want to lose you. His love for you is (and will remain) forever loyal and unconditional.

He needs you as much as you need him. I hope he lives a long happy life and lavishes sweet kisses on you every single day and night. To me, your relationship with him is based on pure love! I am glad you have each other.

I, too, have no doubt that you will be an amazing veterinarian, as well as an "inspiration" to many others. Like everyone else on SDN, you have my sincerest respect, admiration and support. :)

( ( ( cdoconn and her adorable hero dog ) ) )
Choked up a bit reading this one. He's one of the biggest loves I've ever had. Thank you. <3
@cdoconn This made me have happy tears that you made it through to who you are now! I'm so glad your pupper was there for you.
Thank you batsenecal! I'm really happy he's here for me!

@cdoconn I'm glad you're in a better emotional place now and that your dog offered you comfort and humanity in a time where those things felt out of reach. Pets are such wonderful lanterns in the dark and I hope yours keeps things well illuminated for you for a long time.

I have an attempt under my belt as well and am in a much better place now too - if you ever need to talk my PM box is open.
Thank you so much. I'm so sorry to hear about your attempt. I'm glad you're in a better place, my PM box is open as well.

Additionally, my PM box is open for anyone if anyone wanted advice/ help/ support. I hope nobody is ever in that situation, but if you are, know that I'm here for you. <3