motivation???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPMo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know what to do!!! I cannot get motivated to study and Im probably failing gen chem II right now:eek: Is there anyone else that feels this way or is in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad.

the fact that you are near failure does not motivate you?

p.s nice avatar.

have you tried studying with friends? i have several friends that are in this same boat and have all dropped their pre-professional status. We started going out after class to a restaraunt for lunch or dinner then to their house to study and it seems to have kept them interested so far. I think they just don't want to study for a boring subject alone. I've never been in this boat so I'm really not sure what else you can do. But like watchmerise commented on, getting better grades is not motivation? Keeping up good grades is what works for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find the hardest part is starting each day out. Once I start, I do great. Force yourself to begin studying and block yourself off your distractions(aka hibernate in a library.)

I find the hardest part is starting each day out. Once I start, I do great. Force yourself to begin studying and block yourself off your distractions(aka hibernate in a library.)

that's a really good idea... I like studying in a library because there aren't any distractions and I really don't pay attention to the time. It's a bit more uninterrupted, and I turn my phone off.

I dont know what to do!!! I cannot get motivated to study and Im probably failing gen chem II right now:eek: Is there anyone else that feels this way or is in the same situation?

I'm a bigger fan of the Evo generation IX, but I'm looking into a Prelude right now as we speak.

If you're failing Chem II, it's time to start living in the library, that's what works for me.

Good luck.

I know what you mean haha. It's so hard to get started studying but once I do, I lose track of time. I have no direct motivation but once I think about how I am wasting money and time, that usually gets me going.

It' so hard to stay focused after I study for about 5-6 hours, I'm just burned out by then.
For the OP, if you are failing right now, I think that's motivation enough.

It' so hard to stay focused after I study for about 5-6 hours, I'm just burned out by then.

Wow! If I studied that long, I'd be pretty burned out too! :)

Try studying in between classes if you have any gaps in your schedule. Or take your notes to the gym and ride an exercise bike. I never liked the library because I have never been lol. But just try and get started. Have no other distractions and take breaks every little bit to keep you from getting burned out. Good luck!

famous quote: "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents"

MCAT study much? :)

I find if I add more hours day after day I do better. I try to do 3 hours then add to that. Last week I managed three days in a row of 9 hours each but I had to work up to it. You get used to it.... As I said, starting is the hardest...

You got to start out slow and work your way up. If studying is pretty foreign to you, going and having a nice 4-5 hour study sesh and the library isn't going to do you a ton of good. Start out in like 1-2 hour spirts and find what way is the best as far as studying. Some people love flash cards, some people love dry erase boards, some people just read their text book 'till their eyes bleed. In the end, you need to do what is most efficient for you to end up with an A in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT study much? :)

I find if I add more hours day after day I do better. I try to do 3 hours then add to that. Last week I managed three days in a row of 9 hours each but I had to work up to it. You get used to it.... As I said, starting is the hardest...

When I was studying for the MCAT, it was 11-13 hours a day.:laugh:
But then I'm a weirdo.

well maybe being on SDN instead of studying is your problem lol...I know if I have to get things done I won't do them if I have something to distract me lol. Just adding to my previous posts.

actually getting on SDN motivates me alot cause I really want to be a doctor and seeing others like that makes me want to do better. But after a few hours its gone........maybe im just a wierdo:scared:!!!!!

I'm a bigger fan of the Evo generation IX, but I'm looking into a Prelude right now as we speak.

If you're failing Chem II, it's time to start living in the library, that's what works for me.

Good luck.

I currently drive an 03 lancer so any evo is my idol:love:

Use a timer to control both your break time and study time. It works great for me so far.

well-when i was failing my classes i realized that it was due to poor time management. i dont know if the same applies to you-but try to not watch tv during the week as it can be distracting, put away your laptop and go somwhere quiet (library maybe) or your bedroom, and just clear out some space and crack open that book and REALLY give it a go. it also helps me by doing chem problems over and over and practicin the formulas-also write your notes in color. they tend to stick in your head longer.

hope this helped :D

Try devoting time in your school schedule for studying; sort of like a class you can't miss. Write it in your schedule and force yourself to go the library during that time to study.

I have an idea for somemotivation..

How about if you dont have any, you wont get into medical school..
If you aren't going to go to med school, you may aswell stop postingon here..

Now... do you REALLY want to give SDN up?

( or you can ask your self why other people can do it and you cant)

Oh they are better than you.. THATS what it is..
(thats not a joke)

Buy the MSAR and look at it, that will give you all the motivation you need

How about you forget about medicine since you're failing chem which is easy stuff and plan on flipping burgers for the rest of your life while saying "that will be 1.29 sir would you like fries with that?"

Motivated now?

think about how much tuition is and how much you're paying to fail your classes.

Failure should be a good motivator. You could be in my position. I did extremely poorly on a 400-level exam and could potentially get a course grade of D. Do you know what a D does to a medical school acceptance? It takes it away possibly. How's that for motivation? (For those of you that care, its possible to bring the grade back from the brink, so I'm not absolutely worried).

Failure should be a good motivator. You could be in my position. I did extremely poorly on a 400-level exam and could potentially get a course grade of D. Do you know what a D does to a medical school acceptance? It takes it away possibly. How's that for motivation? (For those of you that care, its possible to bring the grade back from the brink, so I'm not absolutely worried).

Well don't tell the OP that...hahaha :p

Just look at some of the MDapps of the people on SDN.
Works for me:thumbup:

My highest paying scholarship requires a 3.5 GPA. In order to keep my money I need to keep on top of my class. In order to get more money, I need to do better on my classes.

Studying --> Higher GPA --> More Opportunities --> More money --> financial independence --> One of the many aspects of Adult-hood.

I want to financially support myself and to not be some money-moocher off my parents. Even though it's sad to be such a one-dimensional victim of the times, money means a lot to me. My dad's job is flopping due to decreased business. I know medical school throws a major kink in my plans. But at least I can control my undergraduate education financing situation.

I'm not smart in the slightest. But I treat my studies like a job. I put in the hours and get the desired results. My fascination with the human body and a goal of fiscal responsibility inspires me to try to improve myself every day. In real life if I fail, this means getting fired. Living on the street. And screwing over my family if I do wind up being the "sugar-mamma." If I somehow get into medical school it won't have anything to do with intelligence.

I want to look back at these four years and tell myself, "This is what I'm capable of." And then try to improve myself again in medical school. I want to see what I'm capable of. And that's what drives me forward.

- Sorry for being so serious and so lengthy! I'm sure you can find your own meaning to succeed! Everyone does. -