-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
motivator
Started by gmcsierra
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sure. My father has a rare genetic disease known as alpha-1 antitrypsin defeciency. When I was 8 years old he received a liver transplant about one week before he would have died of liver failure. He's lived ever since, but he's had all sorts of other life-threatening ailments. Two weeks ago he was in the hospital for a few days for acute idiopathic (unknown cause) pancreatitis.
My mother is a schizophrenic (w/ mood disorder). She's attempted suicide a couple times, etc.
Anyways, I'm not sure exactly why I'm responding, but you asked, so I answered 🙂
My mother is a schizophrenic (w/ mood disorder). She's attempted suicide a couple times, etc.
Anyways, I'm not sure exactly why I'm responding, but you asked, so I answered 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes. My sister was born with a fatal liver disease and was transplanted on her 1st birthday. She has gone into acute rejection two times since then, but is still doing well. My grandmother, best friend's mom, and a 17y/o friend all died of cancer when I was in high school. I'm not sure how much the individual events impacted my decision but they definitely changed who I was as a person, and that absolutely motivated me.
If you don't mind answering, what disease? Alpha-1 antitrypsin defeciency is the #1 reason for pediatric liver transplants and is the most common among northern European populations. Though, there are certainly some other things...
It was Biliary Atresia. I am embarrassed to say that I don't know much about it b/c I was only 10 at the time.
We studied Alpha1-AT in biochem...I hope your father is doing well.
We studied Alpha1-AT in biochem...I hope your father is doing well.
Originally posted by Neuronix
If you don't mind answering, what disease? Alpha-1 antitrypsin defeciency is the #1 reason for pediatric liver transplants. Though, there are some other things...
Definately.
I was born with spina bifida... I've spent quite a bit of time in hospitals with doctor's appointments and surgeries and everything else. But I'd have to say that my interest may have been sparked by having sb, but I have to say that by itself, it wouldn't have made me choose medicine (I plan to specialize, maternal/fetal medicine). The experiences I've had because of sb in the "normal world" such as the kids who hate being in the hospital, to parents being scared as anything to have a kid with a disability, the blatant stupidity of people wanting to have kids at 40-50 without even taking prenatal vitamins or considering the impact a [likely] disability will have on the quality of life of their child, and the list goes on and on and on.
I recently went to a MALSM (Mid-Atlantic Lutheran Student Movement) retreat and about 4 freshman from my university were talking about the first year book (Dead Man Walking) and somehow got onto the abortion topic. A stupid loudmouth opened here mouth to say that any parent who is carrying a child with a disability--no matter how minor--should abort that child!! This coming from one of the most hard-core christians around... stupid chick didn't even know I had sb!! Her thought was that no person with a disability could have a good enough quality of life. Now she's the ***** who won't leave me alone and keeps following me, wanting to be my friend.... GRRRRRRRRRR.... but at least I shut her up in her tracks!!!
-Liz
I was born with spina bifida... I've spent quite a bit of time in hospitals with doctor's appointments and surgeries and everything else. But I'd have to say that my interest may have been sparked by having sb, but I have to say that by itself, it wouldn't have made me choose medicine (I plan to specialize, maternal/fetal medicine). The experiences I've had because of sb in the "normal world" such as the kids who hate being in the hospital, to parents being scared as anything to have a kid with a disability, the blatant stupidity of people wanting to have kids at 40-50 without even taking prenatal vitamins or considering the impact a [likely] disability will have on the quality of life of their child, and the list goes on and on and on.
I recently went to a MALSM (Mid-Atlantic Lutheran Student Movement) retreat and about 4 freshman from my university were talking about the first year book (Dead Man Walking) and somehow got onto the abortion topic. A stupid loudmouth opened here mouth to say that any parent who is carrying a child with a disability--no matter how minor--should abort that child!! This coming from one of the most hard-core christians around... stupid chick didn't even know I had sb!! Her thought was that no person with a disability could have a good enough quality of life. Now she's the ***** who won't leave me alone and keeps following me, wanting to be my friend.... GRRRRRRRRRR.... but at least I shut her up in her tracks!!!
-Liz
When I was in middle school I got heart failure.
Originally posted by terpgirl
Definately.
I was born with spina bifida... I've spent quite a bit of time in hospitals with doctor's appointments and surgeries and everything else. But I'd have to say that my interest may have been sparked by having sb, but I have to say that by itself, it wouldn't have made me choose medicine (I plan to specialize, maternal/fetal medicine). The experiences I've had because of sb in the "normal world" such as the kids who hate being in the hospital, to parents being scared as anything to have a kid with a disability, the blatant stupidity of people wanting to have kids at 40-50 without even taking prenatal vitamins or considering the impact a [likely] disability will have on the quality of life of their child, and the list goes on and on and on.
I recently went to a MALSM (Mid-Atlantic Lutheran Student Movement) retreat and about 4 freshman from my university were talking about the first year book (Dead Man Walking) and somehow got onto the abortion topic. A stupid loudmouth opened here mouth to say that any parent who is carrying a child with a disability--no matter how minor--should abort that child!! This coming from one of the most hard-core christians around... stupid chick didn't even know I had sb!! Her thought was that no person with a disability could have a good enough quality of life. Now she's the ***** who won't leave me alone and keeps following me, wanting to be my friend.... GRRRRRRRRRR.... but at least I shut her up in her tracks!!!
-Liz
just to let you know that hard core doesnt mean always right. and religiosity doesnt equal sincerity.
i understand where you are coming from. it's extremely difficult when people talk about issues that they have no clue about. but that's the reality of this world. we just have to try extra hard to never do that to someone else.