Mount Sinai vs Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shorehugger

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Mount Sinai and Vanderbilt. I don’t know what my cost will be for either right now. Unfortunately, second look weekends are at the same time so I can only go to one. I think the schools are perceived to be about the same with regards to prestige. I am not sure if one would help me match better. Any input on that would be appreciated.

Vanderbilt

Pros:

- Smaller class size and huge emphasis on student wellness
- 1 year preclinical
- P/F clerkships
- Great student-run free clinic
- Dedicated research time

Cons:
- Smaller city
- Schedule/testing not as flexible and 2-day exams seem intense

Mount Sinai

Pros:

- Once in a lifetime opportunity to live in NYC
- Diverse patient population
- Mount Sinai hospital system
- Flexible school schedule and testing
- Don’t need a car
- Subsidized housing

Cons:
- 2 year preclinical
- May not be as supportive of an environment as Vanderbilt?

Summary: I am truly torn between the two schools right now, and I'm not sure which slw to attend.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Tough one. Any family or friends living near/in either city that could sway? Cost?

Would probably vote Sinai based off your list alone, as you seem more excited about the city/area the hospital serves. But if you're familiar with NYC/sinai area already then maybe you could just go to Vanderbilt to check out the area.

Agreed, this is a tough one. Both schools are equal in prestige but different in curriculum.

If you're interested in anything competitive, P/F clerkships are a lifesaver and can ease your stress levels significantly, so I would personally lean Vanderbilt. Sinai has a clerkship grading distribution of 25% honors, 25% high pass, and 50% pass. I also think the 1-year preclinical at Vanderbilt can help you explore specialties of interest and build connections early on.

However, if you don't see yourself being happy in Nashville and/or you have a support system in NYC, it would be much more worth it to attend Sinai.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tough one. Any family or friends living near/in either city that could sway? Cost?

Would probably vote Sinai based off your list alone, as you seem more excited about the city/area the hospital serves. But if you're familiar with NYC/sinai area already then maybe you could just go to Vanderbilt to check out the area.
Both schools happen to be about the same distance from family, so that’s not a factor. I don’t have a financial package from either program yet, so that may end up being what helps me decide. I was hoping to visit both schools to see which one seems like a better fit.

Agreed, this is a tough one. Both schools are equal in prestige but different in curriculum.

If you're interested in anything competitive, P/F clerkships are a lifesaver and can ease your stress levels significantly, so I would personally lean Vanderbilt. Sinai has a clerkship grading distribution of 25% honors, 25% high pass, and 50% pass. I also think the 1-year preclinical at Vanderbilt can help you explore specialties of interest and build connections early on.

However, if you don't see yourself being happy in Nashville and/or you have a support system in NYC, it would be much more worth it to attend Sinai.
I’m glad you brought up interest in anything competitive because I was just going to ask about that. I have not decided my specialty yet, but I think it is a good idea to keep the option open since I may decide to pursue a more competitive one.