Mount St. Mary's DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2017DPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance, seeing who else got accepted and was wondering..

Can any current students, alumni, or anybody share their thoughts about the program and like living in the heart of LA? I know the cost of living is very expensive for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wondering the same thing! Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)

Can any current students, alumni, or anybody share their thoughts about the program and like living in the heart of LA? I know the cost of living is very expensive for sure.
Congrats!!!!! Can you share your stats???? Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats!!!!! Can you share your stats?

Congrats!!!!! Can you share your stats?

3.39 gpa about the same prereq.
313 gre 4.0 writing

3 settings, sports, ortho, snf
250 outpatient
150 inpatient

Community service fraternity, a few other Extracurriculars

Can I ask when you applied?

Can I ask when you applied?

Turned in apps late August but it was unsubmitted because I forgot a transcript and then resubmitted it around early sept! But idk if that unsubmitted incident deferred til sept

Hi,

I'm a current student at MSMU! First, Congrats for getting in! There are the pros and cons, like every program. Some of the things that could be worked on; the facilities aren't top of the line, it's a small school (only roughly 35 per cohort). That's also a Pro, you build a great relationship with leaders in the field of physical therapy because of the small amount of people in the program. It's only one building for the physical therapy program. The cohort size is small so you get to know each other very well and it's a very personalized learning experience. Any issues or questions you have all the professors are very approachable and reachable. The other cohorts in the program are also awesome, extremely nice and helpful. I love the fact that I can literally talk to anyone in the program about any issue I'm having and theyll be there for me. There is a very nice enviroment they build there at MSMU that brings people together. I've also heard great things from CI's when talking specifically ab out MSMU students regarding knowledge base, ect. It's not a research school at all so if you're interested in that this is NOT the school for you. They focus a lot on building your interpersonal skills and building relationships with your patients and colleagues. I was accepted to 4 other schools and visiting all of them, MSMU by far had a much more "homey" feel than any of the others. The campus is also beautiful, very small gated and it's like a garden in the middle of LA.

In terms of living, I came out from San Francisco so the rent wasn't as bad, I guess it's all relative. You could get a room for about 1000ish or less a month and even less if you're sharing. There are options and the program sometimes has some help. There are no males allowed to live on campus because the undergrad is an all girl school. But for female students in the program it's available. But your contact at the school Gabby sometimes has some nice information, along with joining any groups you can from other cohorts. Let me know if you have anymore questions, I'll be glad to answer. Good luck to those waiting for a spot!

Hi,

I'm a current student at MSMU! First, Congrats for getting in! There are the pros and cons, like every program. Some of the things that could be worked on; the facilities aren't top of the line, it's a small school (only roughly 35 per cohort). That's also a Pro, you build a great relationship with leaders in the field of physical therapy because of the small amount of people in the program. It's only one building for the physical therapy program. The cohort size is small so you get to know each other very well and it's a very personalized learning experience. Any issues or questions you have all the professors are very approachable and reachable. The other cohorts in the program are also awesome, extremely nice and helpful. I love the fact that I can literally talk to anyone in the program about any issue I'm having and theyll be there for me. There is a very nice enviroment they build there at MSMU that brings people together. I've also heard great things from CI's when talking specifically ab out MSMU students regarding knowledge base, ect. It's not a research school at all so if you're interested in that this is NOT the school for you. They focus a lot on building your interpersonal skills and building relationships with your patients and colleagues. I was accepted to 4 other schools and visiting all of them, MSMU by far had a much more "homey" feel than any of the others. The campus is also beautiful, very small gated and it's like a garden in the middle of LA.

In terms of living, I came out from San Francisco so the rent wasn't as bad, I guess it's all relative. You could get a room for about 1000ish or less a month and even less if you're sharing. There are options and the program sometimes has some help. There are no males allowed to live on campus because the undergrad is an all girl school. But for female students in the program it's available. But your contact at the school Gabby sometimes has some nice information, along with joining any groups you can from other cohorts. Let me know if you have anymore questions, I'll be glad to answer. Good luck to those waiting for a spot!

Hey thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate the very detailed explanation! :) I think i like that they focus on interpersonal skills and clinical things opposed to research.
I'm confused on one thing though. As a student at MSMU, you have a capstone project, which is research right?

Hey thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate the very detailed explanation! :) I think i like that they focus on interpersonal skills and clinical things opposed to research.
I'm confused on one thing though. As a student at MSMU, you have a capstone project, which is research right?

Glad to help! :)

So from what I understand you can do a capstone project or a group project that begins on your first semester of your 3rd year, there are a few options.

So from what I understand you can do a capstone project or a group project that begins on your first semester of your 3rd year, there are a few options.

I see! Thank you very much for the response, I plan on visiting soon! :)

Do

Do you know when dpt students will be back from break?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else heard from MSMU yet? I am still waiting on a decision

Congrats! Did they require an interview before you were accepted?

I declined my acceptance. Hopefully somebody else on the waitlist gets in!

Has anyone else heard from MSMU yet? I am still waiting on a decision

I'm still waiting and hoping to hear something soon. I remember their email said we would get a response by the end of January

I called and they said we should get notified end of January or first week of February. Haven't received anything so far.

I just called and they said to expect to hear back at the end of next week or beginning of the following week

Reactions: 1 users
I accepted my offer in December.

Last edited:
I got an email about being on the "alternate list"
Not sure what that means
Still hanging in there

Last edited:
I got an email about being on the "alternate list"
Not sure what that means
Still hanging in there
I got the same email. I believe it's just their waitlist, and if/when accepted students decline their offers they will accept people off of the alternate list.

Got it too. Confusing that it says "alternate or waitlist/accepted status" makes it sound better than it is haha

Does anyone know if "wait list acceptance status" is higher than wait list or is that just their word for it?

Does anyone know if "wait list acceptance status" is higher than wait list or is that just their word for it?
I feel like they are saying...."you've been accepted....but you can't have your spot until someone else gives up theirs...so...wait." but you can definitely call them and ask! I think it's just a regular old waitlist. I'm curious if anyone got rejected.

I called and they said that it is basically a waitlist.

Anyone know how many people are on the wait list?

I got the same email today also...seems like they put a lot of people on the waitlist..

I must add that I too got this email. They make it sound like there is a good chance of getting in. Does anyone know if being on waitlist for any dpt is an "accomplishment" or do they put everyone who doesnt get in but meets the requirements on waitlist? Maybe they are adding more people to their program.

I must add that I too got this email. They make it sound like there is a good chance of getting in. Does anyone know if being on waitlist for any dpt is an "accomplishment" or do they put everyone who doesnt get in but meets the requirements on waitlist? Maybe they are adding more people to their program.
Depends on the school. I know I made the wait list on some school where my friends have been flat out rejected. Then there are other schools, like Chapman, that seems to wait list everyone and not give out rejections

I applied to Mt St Mary's last year and was rejected. So they don't add everyone who is qualified to the waitlist. I looked at threads from the previous years and seems like they add around 145 ppl to the waitlist. Im going to call Monday to get more info.

I received the same email. 145 ppl looks right just reading this trend

I applied to Mt St Mary's last year and was rejected. So they don't add everyone who is qualified to the waitlist. I looked at threads from the previous years and seems like they add around 145 ppl to the waitlist. Im going to call Monday to get more info.
Thank you for the information! Thats so sad, giving false hope like that for 147 people when they only take in 35...

Keep in mind that a lot of people on that list wouldn't accept the offer if it came! There is hope :)
Thank you for the information! Thats so sad, giving false hope like that for 147 people when they only take in 35...

Called the school yesterday and they have 150 ppl on the wait list .

Has anyone gotten off of the list?

Called the school yesterday and they have 150 ppl on the wait list .

Has anyone gotten off of the list?

Did they by any chance say how they rank the waitlist or if they give out which number you are on it?

I found out at a tour that Chapman's waitlist works like this: Once a spot opens up, they get a few candidates from PTCAS that meet the Chapman DPT threshold, along with being the most competitive. From there, Chapman reaches out towards said candidates. So there isn't a number ranking. It's pulled from a pool that PTCAS has.

I just received my acceptance yesterday. I was placed on the alternate/waitlist Feb. 3rd. Best of luck to you all.

I just received my acceptance yesterday. I was placed on the alternate/waitlist Feb. 3rd. Best of luck to you all.
Thanks for letting us know! Good job!!! Do you mind sharing stats?

Thanks for letting us know! Good job!!! Do you mind sharing stats?
Thanks! This was my second cycle also. My stats aren't as high or extensive compared to the stats I'm reading from admitted students, but oh well.
GRE: 152 V /151 Q. 4.0AW
Total gpa: 3.45 (undergrad and post-bacc). Major Psychology
LOR: 1 PT, 1 Advisor, 1 Anatomy Prof, and 1 Supervisor
Hours: Outpatient (Volunteer and PT Aide): ~280 hours. Inpatient: 45
No real extracurriculars.

Thanks! This was my second cycle also. My stats aren't as high or extensive compared to the stats I'm reading from admitted students, but oh well.
GRE: 152 V /151 Q. 4.0AW
Total gpa: 3.45 (undergrad and post-bacc). Major Psychology
LOR: 1 PT, 1 Advisor, 1 Anatomy Prof, and 1 Supervisor
Hours: Outpatient (Volunteer and PT Aide): ~280 hours. Inpatient: 45
No real extracurriculars.

Congrats!!! Did you do a campus tour or attend a class?

I was accepted too hey future classmates