1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Mountain Bikes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bruciebaby45, Apr 26, 2004.

1. bruciebaby45

bruciebaby45 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know anything about mountain bikes? I am looking for a bike to ride to school (about 20 minutes) and also to do some cross country stuff and a downhill. If anyone is in the know can you please let me know which of these bikes would suit me best (they are all about the same price).

2000 Gary Fisher sugar 4, full susp, size lg(19"), judy XC front, cane creek rear, Deore LX components
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Specialized Rockhopper A1 comp, FS white/blue 21" frame, 26lbs, plus extras
    2002 Giant NRS-XTC mountain bike, full suspension, race face & Easton upgrades, exc cond
    Rocky Mountain Spice full suspension, exc cond

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jay16942

jay16942 the milk's gone bad...
    7+ Year Member

All really good bikes (although I don't know much about the Rocky Mountain). However, I would recommend getting a hardtail rather than a full suspension. The full suspension will be much more plush for downhill, but it sounds like that's not your priority. A hardtail is going to be several pounds lighter, and cheaper (so you can spend your money on better components- very important!). Also, hardtails don't have the "sag" that full suspension bikes do, which causes them to bounce around a lot when under hard pedaling. It might seem minor, but it makes a huge difference in cross country and long rides in general because it makes handling more difficult and wastes power. (On the really top of the line full suspensions, you can get the rear shock to "lock out" while pedaling) I would check out Kona, GT and Specialized, although it's been a few years since I've shopped for a bike.

4. dentate_gyrus

dentate_gyrus Member
    7+ Year Member

i second the kona reccomendation, and add the Marin bikes.

5. trauma_junky

trauma_junky 12 step pre-med rehab
    10+ Year Member

Unless you are going to be taking some serious drops (5 feet or greater) you don't need full suspension.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a specialized rock hopper. I love it:) It is a good all purpose bike, though if I did more mountain biking I would opt to upgrade the components.

7. ventulus18

Attending Physician
    get a full suspension that has rear lockout, that way you can climb "on the fly"..... k2 bikes all the way

8. theringworm

theringworm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

For what you are wanting to do it sounds as though a hard tail would be a better fit. Esp. if it will be used more often for commuting to school than being ridden on the trail. The only exception would be if one of the mentioned FS bikes has a rear lockout. Jay16942 has explained the reasoning behind this. I am not sure if this old of a FS bike even comes with rear lockouts so that may nix all of them. Another thing to consider, which I feel is the absolute most important thing about a mtn bike, is how does it fit you. If you have access to all of these bikes I would recommend taking them for a spin. You don't want a bike that doesn't fit. It can cause a lot of neck strain, back problems, so on and so forth. (If you need help with proper bike fit ask a bike shop to help you out. ) Plus if you are toting a backpack full of books to class, that just makes it worse. So, the first thing I would do is test ride them all if you can. Once you have narrowed that down, then look at components. It is well worth the money to spend extra cash on good components. Definitely do not go below Shimano LX components. I would try and atleast to get XT if its in your budget. I don't have any experience with the Rocky Mtn. so I can't help you there. I have owned a Fisher, and currently own a Giant,and Specialized. In regards to customer service, Specialized is hands down the best, esp. if you bust a frame. Weight shouldn't be an issue for you when buying a bike unless you plan on racing or if the trails around your parts require lots of climbing. I would focus on the Fisher, Specialized and maybe see if you can find a Trek or Kona. Sorry Jay16942, but I would not recommend the GT. I have buddies who have had nothing but problems with them. Bruciebaby45 if you want to PM me with any specific questions please feel free. Good luck.

9. Fusion

Fusion Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I bought a Specialized Hardrock not long ago (after my Gary Fisher was stolen). They both are great bikes. As one of the previous posters mentioned, Marin bikes are nice as well (and relatively inexpensive on eBay).

10. ventulus18

Attending Physician
    ride cross with a downhill bike with 9 inches under the rear tire......it builds character :thumbup:

11. linus

linus fly tux.
    7+ Year Member

buy a huffy from walmart and save about $500 :D

12. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Specialized all the way. I've had two specialized now, and they're both excellent bikes.

13. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

I love Specialized & I agree about passing on full suspension - or suspension with a lockout.

14. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I love guys who like to ride mountain bikes, but to school? twenty minute bike commutes are dangerous. Get a car when you want to drive to school. You'll need a car anyway

15. DocStretch

DocStretch Member
    10+ Year Member

bb45, where are you going to school where there's some trails you'll want to ride? I'm curious if there's any schools that have nicey-nice trails nearby. I'm thinking Dartmouth has some solid trails and I've heard UW Madison has lots, are there any others out there?

Ps. Sailcrzy, I see you're a fellow Michigander, u have any favorite trails in the mitten state?

16. bruciebaby45

7+ Year Member

Ya if everything works out (will not know until May 15th, damn Canadian schools) there is a pretty good trail btwn my place and the university. You know a little something to wake me up in the morning before class. For that reason, and the fact I want to ride trails more then I let on in my first post, I am looking at dual suspension. I used to ride a lot but have lost touch with the industry over the last couple of years and was looking for some advice before buying a new bike.
    Bruce
    PS Any and all advice is welcome!

17. autobot

autobot Member
    7+ Year Member

Get your old bike and build yourself a nice simple single speed to ride to class. I stripped down a trek, took off the super bouncy supsension fork, all the shifters/gears chainrings etc. Want to go faster? pedal faster. Want to go up hill? get your butt off the bike. It makes riding simple, fun and low maintenance. Go single Speeds!!

-autobot

18. Biffer

Biffer The good times doc
    10+ Year Member

buy the rocky mountain hard tail---I second the posts above-no need for a dual suspension bike if just riding to class, etc.

I have a rocky mountain and use it for the very same purpose--its held up amazingly well for the past three years.

biff

19. bruciebaby45

7+ Year Member

Just getting my post back to the front of the list.
    Thanks for the info.

20. courtyard

courtyard Member
    7+ Year Member

caution: these are real nice bikes, but if you are planning on riding them to commute, you should also worry about bike theft.

i have soon so many helpless bikes on the streets with missing components on them.

cy.

21. 911Med

911Med Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

stole
    stolen
    going to be stolen
    in the process of being stolen right now.

I think you should buy all 4 and strap them to the roof of a Honda Accord or a Cadillac Escalade and leave the keys in the ignition.

These are great bikes, but unless your willing to take them into class with you, these are sitting ducks outside the library, class etc - u-locks or not.

Save yourself the cash and buy a beater bike - i.e. a Schwinn Varsity. Replace the tires, brake pads, chain, handlebars.

Take the extra $800 and use it on maintenance, pannier bags, and a nice frosty beer each day after class.

This advice coming from a part-time bike shop employee for the past 9 years.
    PM if you have any other question.

The NRS is a sweet ride. I have an NRS Air and I love it.