Move HSA $ to Roth IRA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureInternist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have approximately 20,000 sitting in an HSA that I did not use for medical expenses already incurred.
Paid out of pocket at that time (gotta get them SWA points 😉).
The financial report I get from my work, something I didn't really pay attention to initially, seems to indicate that the HSA $ is NOT being invested in a Vanguard Target date fund (as the 403b & 457 are), and it's return was listed at something < 1%.
My understanding is that the date of the medical expense is not limited so I should be able to now take the money out.

With that in mind, it seems to make sense to withdraw the $ & open 2 IRAs (@ $ 5500 each, one for wife) & invest rest in child's 529.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
 
Sounds like non-qualified HSA distribution subject to a 20% penalty and taxed as ordinary income. Ask HR what other HSA investment options are available.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, there's no deadline as to when you can reimbursement yourself. Just keep the receipts.