Movement disorder fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohdil23

Reaction score
Hello All,

I wanted to pick your brains and ask about recommendations of the best programs to do movement disorder fellowship at. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on what you're looking for, if you are interested in particular research fields, DBS, BTX, etc. Do you want to be the only fellow or be part of a large program? Highly structured or lots of independence and research flexibility? Clinical or research focused?

The "old guard" of programs with the most influential people in the field: Columbia (Fahn), Baylor (Jankovic), Wash U (Perlmutter), Emory (DeLong). Each has particular strengths and different program setup.

2 "newer-school" programs with big reputations and a heavy DBS/neuromodulation focus: Florida (Okun), UCSF.

Other names I've heard good things about in recent years: Vandy, Michigan, Rush, Stanford, Virginia. By no means a comprehensive list of good programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I think deathmerchant here is movement disorders trained? Maybe he can give you some insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I wanted to pick your brains and ask about recommendations of the best programs to do movement disorder fellowship at. Thank you

Yes, I agree with all the programs Thama mentioned. In a very small, niche field, sometimes finding one good mentor is all you need. So if you have a particular interest say for example in Dystonia; find the famous "dystonia people" and go there. Another thing that I've noticed is faculty turnover is really high in movt disorders for some reason, esp in bigger cities like NY.

In addition to above, i think NYU, Mt Sinai, OHSU and Yale are decent programs. I think Cincy, Med College of Georgia and Albany also have good faculty/training programs.

Reactions: 1 users
I think highly of Cincinnati's program. Alberto Espay is a great mentor and is well respected in the field. Probably one of the smartest guys I've ever met but also really warm and a truly nice guy.

What is a good number of programs to apply to so as to not go unmatched?

Does anyone have an idea about the movement fellowship at UMinnesota (Jerry Vitek)?

Does anyone have an idea about the movement fellowship at UMinnesota (Jerry Vitek)?
Not familiar with the fellowship structure, but Minnesota has some great movement faculty, Vitek foremost among them.

Hi all, Does it matter when a fellowship PD emails you prior to the rank deadline and says you are among the top candidates they interviewed this year? If they have 2 spots, to how many applicants do they usually send such emails? Thank you.