1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Movement of H+ in mitochondria

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by 4s4, Aug 7, 2006.

1. 4s4

4s4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm kind of confused about the whole electron transport chain business and chemiosmotic theory. Is the movement of H+ from the intermembrane space to matrix DOWN the gradient or against? This came up on Kaplan 6 BS and I'm not really getting their explaination. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It should be down the gradient.

4. 4s4

4s4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If it's down...then ATP synthesis occurs according to the passage by the "re-entry of protons into the matrix" so when H+ goes down the gradient, then ATP is made...so why does the question (#152) say that "Nigericin is an agent that carries H+ down its concentration gradient" and the answer is that bacteria will be less efficient in making ATP? Shouldn't they be MORE efficient at making ATP?

5. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Um, I took the MCAT a year ago and don't know the exact passage you are referencing. My guess is that it would destroy the H+ gradient that is needed to generate ATP. Remember, that ATP is only generated when H+ flows down its gradient THROUGH ATP synthase. If there is a drug that moves H+ down the gradient w/o having to pass through the synthase, you get a reduced gradient w/o generating any ATP. Just my guess.

6. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good guess. That is the reason.

7. 4s4

4s4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ohhh, makes sense. Thanks!

8. Foolins

Foolins Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Because in the mitochondria, the only route for H+ down its gradient should be the channels coupled to ATP synthase.

If you had some another way of transporting H+ down its gradient without going through the ATP synthase...then it would go back into the matrix for nothing.