Moving across the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisSwede

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was wondering what the people that are moving far away are planning on doing. I live in CA and am moving to the East Coast. If anybody else isdoing that or the reversed, how are you moving all your stuff? Renting a truck? Going for commercial moving? Any input would be appreciated as it is all looking too expensive for me.

/Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in your exact situation...I live in CA and am moving east. I have no clue as to how to move. I was thinking of driving cross country this summer but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Definitely need to do some research into this.

Where are you going to go to school in the fall?

[This message has been edited by jimi (edited 02-27-2001).]

Pack up your car, get a friend to drive with you across the country. Of course, you should pay for all your friends expenses (flight, lodging, ...). If you have s very small car or a lot of stuff, then ship some stuff via UPS.

When you get to your new home, just buy all the furniture and have the furniture places deliver it.

This might not be the cheapest way, but it is the easiest. Plus, you get all new furniture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a 100% sure of where I'm going yet. I still have an interview in Vermont next week, otherwise I'm going to N.C., Wake F.
My girlfriend is moving with me and we have nice furniture that we want to bring. Just renting a ryder truck and drive would cost over $1,000 not including gas. I don't know if it would be cheaper to rent a container and put it on the train?

Jimi, where are you heading to?

/Chris

Chris,
Moving. We did it last summer and we are doing it again this summer, so it doesn?t hurt for me to start thinking about it now. I hope what follows is helpful?and these tidbits are in no specific order?just stream of consciousness. It's going to be pricey.

1) If the move is closely related to work (perhaps your girlfriend can swing this part), check out the IRS website for publication 521 and form 3903 making it a tax-deductible event. Gotta love Adobe Acrobat.
2) Start making the change-of-address list now. I just open a Word file, save it to my desktop, and keep a running list. You really do need to start this early to ensure not missing anyone. The last thing you want to do is spend time on the phone begging for late fees to be removed while you?re trying to settle in.
3) Check out truck rentals on-line. We moved from DC to Oregon (sea to shining sea) and got a 17 ft Uhaul for $706. We got a discount for setting up the rental online, and while I was comparing prices and making various inquiries (3rd call to Uhaul), they gave me an additional discount if I would set up the rental that day. That dropped the price significantly! Other rentals ranged from 875 to 1200. You can first set up a tentative ?hold? type rental, and finalize it later. I guess Uhaul was anxious for me to get it off hold. Even then, we could have canceled without penalty as long as we did so within specified time frames. All were good about giving us enough mileage. They say to make reservations about 1 month in advance, especially during the summer and around weekend days.
4) You may save by renting a diesel, though many companies have been phasing out the diesel engines except for their largest moving vans. This website has a link to daily nationwide gas prices: http://www.dor.state.ne.us/rca/
5)Watch out for road construction. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/index.htm This link will take you to each state?s DOT page, and most have good road construction updates. Indiana?s is especially good, for eg. There?s nothing like being stuck in a 12 mile backup at high noon in July. We have a joke where I come from?Nebraska has 2 seasons: winter and road construction.
6) Plan your trip route carefully. How many miles can you really drive in a day and still make it all the way across? We usually drove 10 hour days (in separate vehicles), but had the benefit of my parents in Omaha (just off I-80)! We took a 2 day rest there and still had enough days to make our destination. I recommend one of the trip-planner programs. I think we used the Rand McNally Tripmaker, and it was incredibly accurate and useful.
7) Book motels well in advance. We watched people struggling to get motel rooms in the Midwest somewhere because there was a huge biker rally going on nearby. There weren?t rooms to be had along the interstate within a 2 hour radius! Who woulda thunk it?!? But we had our reservations and got to see some great Harleys.
8) Are you bringing a car? We chose not to tow it behind because we have no experience driving anything that long! We saw many moving van accidents along the way due to inexperience?just a word of caution.
9) If driving separately: we got those little two-way radios, and they were a blast! Kept us awake and we got to point out stuff to one another, tell the other person to stop at the next rest stop, etc. They were also useful for backing up the van because I could stand outside and give directions to my husband through the two-way. I could also speed up and scout things out on the road ahead in traffic so he could switch to appropriate lanes easily. It sucks to be in a moving van in some strange city with 5 lanes bumper to bumper, making a lane change at the last minute.
10) Be prepared for a moving van breakdown. We?ve never had one, but we?ve seen them all along the way?from all companies. When I asked Uhaul who would have to move our belongings from one van to the next in the event of a breakdown, they said we would!
11) Speaking of moving belongings, since we have a 2 bedroom and moved to a town where we knew not a soul, we hired people to help us unload. I called some of those temporary help companies until I found one that hired out directly to regular folk (not just to businesses). We hired three guys to unload all our stuff for about $200. They had a 4 hour contract minimum. There was just no way we could do it by ourselves, up two flights of stairs. Just FYI, hired help is out there?at a price. It was worth it after the drive across the US.
12) Don?t believe what the moving companies tell you a moving van will hold. We had a 2 bedroom apartment, only 1 bedroom set and no couch. We still had trouble getting all our stuff into a 17 foot van. Another caveat, the 17 ft does not describe the ft of the cargo area. Maybe it was nose to tail? I don?t recall.
13) Bigger is better. It sucks to try to stack your stuff floor to ceiling.
14) The commercial moving van route? We priced it at 3-5K. Ouch! If you do go that route, be aware that these companies aren?t really regulated, so they can hold your stuff until you pay, and you have little recourse. We?ve had friends get shafted. Be sure to get quotes on-site and in writing.
15) A train? Never thought of that. Let me know what you come up with!
16) If you wind up driving, invest in a good pair of sunglasses. An absolute must!

Whew. That was long. I?m sure there?s a lot more good advice out there. Anyone want to share?

I-80, here we come,
Kris

Or you could just go to your local recruiting office and join the military....they move everything for FREE...they even pack it (and unpack it) for you!
wink.gif

Ah, the military move. Wasn't Offutt AFB in Nebraska just such a choice place to grow up! (all sarcasm intended) Go Navy with the not-so-landlocked bases! Though I hear Offutt now has a Navy commander.

A couple more tidbits about caring for yourself on a cross-country move.
Fast food wreaks havoc on a stomach in a body that sits for 10 hours a day for several consecutive days. We made sure we had at least one good meal a day. We also stopped at grocery stores during our stopovers and filled up our ice-chests with bottled water, grapes, and cut melon and other fruit.
Take some ibuprofen and a good lumbar support. Even a rolled up towel is better than nothing. Since our last move was from East to West, we started early and stopped around dinner-time. The setting sun can really fatigue your eyes if you are driving into it. I suppose the same might go for the rising sun, but when I moved from west to east, I don?t remember it being as bad.
In a moving van, brake earlier than you?d ever imagine you?d have to. Test out the braking distance on open road. I drive a Geo, and man, that van was quite different!
I also agree with a previous poster about paying someone?s way to travel with you so you don?t go at it alone.
On a much lighter note, make rules about farting in the car
biggrin.gif

Kris--the designated navigator and trip-planner

Oh man,

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. On the lighter note, I better not suggest making any rules to farting as I am lactose intolerant.
smile.gif

I would join the Navy in a heartbeat if I could. The best part about it would be that they would pay for school and at the same time give me a stipend. Now, the problem is that I am not a US citizen, only permanent resident. The weird thing is that I was required to sign up for selected services but can't join the military. Hmmm, I guess they don't want to pay me but could use me for cannon fodder in time of war. Go figure...

/Chris

All I can say is invest in a few books on tape/CD. Sounds dorky, but it sure makes the time fly. I tend to get sick of listening to the same CDs over and over, so audio books worked for me.

Thanks for all that information... I too am in CA and will be moving back east (about 90% sure...)
When I moved out here in the first place, it was for work and they organized and paid for everything. I'm definitely spoiled!
I'm thinking about hiring a company to do the whole move, even with the cost, b/c I'll be doing the move by myself, and have 2nd floor to deal with on my move out and move in.
Any suggestions on good/reputable companies?