Moving during the application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubberducky22

Reaction score
If you are given the opportunity to move states mid-cycle but are unsure of how to proceed with your next application because of upcoming interviews, how do you apply? I would be moving away from my current instate territory (OSU) towards UF so which would be my technical "in-state" for this upcoming 2024-2025 cycle? I would be a second-time applicant by then but I am tentatively planning on reapplying in case. My upcoming interviews are not at my instate or UF so I would be making a move whether I am accepted or not either way. If this is a question for VMCAS or the individual schools, which departments should I contact?

Members don't see this ad.

You should contact the individual schools; establishing residency for admissions purposes usually requires more time there than if you had just moved. Whomever their general admissions contact for the CVM is should be able to point you in the right direction if they can't provide the information on what it takes to establish residency.

I had to move last year during the application cycle. I just emailed all of the schools I applied to and they updated my address on my application. Residency normally requires a full year of living so your instate would still be OSU for the rest of this cycle

So I would still HAVE an in state? I guess that was my biggest concern that there would be some kind of weird gap I would be stuck in where my only choice would be OOS :rofl:

So I would still HAVE an in state? I guess that was my biggest concern that there would be some kind of weird gap I would be stuck in where my only choice would be OOS :rofl:
You wouldn’t have an IS if you change your permanent residence but aren’t in the new state for a full year. (I think usually it’s a full year before classes start, but check with UF because the measurement date might vary from school to school.). Assuming you’re financially independent, OSU won’t consider you IS if you’ve left the state for more than 30 days, see Financially Independent Students - The Ohio State University