Jun 21, 2018
Just wanted to commiserate, the stressors are starting to set in. I’ve moved across the country before, but this time there’s so much more on my plate. Spouse looking for job + finding an apartment in tough housing market area + prepping and selling our house + wrapping up dissertation. Ugh! I know we will pull through and things will work out, but all of these simultaneously feel quite daunting at the moment. Any advice/support would be much appreciated

Last edited:

PsychCrazied

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2011
Status
Psychology Student
I completely get the stress. I thought the stressful part would be over once I matched. I was so wrong.

I'm looking into my new internship home and realized that I wouldn't be able to afford an apartment by myself. Any one have any advice on how to find a roommate in a new town while trying to avoid murders? The alternative is taking a small loan to help pay for housing which I would rather not do.

LadyHalcyon

Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2016
Status
Psychologist
Haha I drugged my crazy dog for an 8 hr drive. 2 mg of valium did the trick. She was very mellow and relaxed the entire ride!
When I moved from Northern CA to go to grad school in Kentucky, I drugged my cat for five days straight lol. The vet can give you a medication. I gave it to him in the morning and he would sleep all day in his carrier, and then let him out in the hotel room at night to not be drugged for awhile lol. worked out just fine for him :) going to do the same when I move to Cleveland for internship!

Aug 21, 2018
I completely get the stress. I thought the stressful part would be over once I matched. I was so wrong.

I'm looking into my new internship home and realized that I wouldn't be able to afford an apartment by myself. Any one have any advice on how to find a roommate in a new town while trying to avoid murders? The alternative is taking a small loan to help pay for housing which I would rather not do.
I've moved across country before and have found roommates multiple times through Craigslist (all positive experiences if you use common sense to screen out people with red flags). My preferred approach when I had savings was to find an apartment on my own, let the landlord know I would be looking for a roommate to add to the lease, and then once I had moved to the new city, post a Craigslist ad and start interviewing potential roommates. I'd email them and then usually meet them at a local coffee shop and assuming I wasn't creeped out by them, then took them to tour the apartment. Upside is you separate the process of finding a desirable apartment from the process of finding a desirable roommate. The downside is you foot the bill for the first month's rent + all the up front costs (security deposit, last month's rent, etc). Once I found a roommate they then paid me their half of the security deposit, last month's rent, and I ate the full cost of the first month's rent.

Jun 20, 2018
Does anybody have a recommendation for companies that offer truck loaders/unloaders only? To save some money, we plan on driving a Penske truck but we don't want to have to load and unload anything ourselves. Would love recommendations from anybody who did the same!

MiniLop

7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
Does anybody have a recommendation for companies that offer truck loaders/unloaders only? To save some money, we plan on driving a Penske truck but we don't want to have to load and unload anything ourselves. Would love recommendations from anybody who did the same!
Most areas have a number of local companies that do this (and I'd recommend patronizing them over a large, national chain). In the past though, my partner and I have just hired someone from looking at craigslist ads, though there is often a lot of variability in professionalism (as I'm sure you can imagine).