Moving for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FBurnaby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that moved out of state for medical school, what was the overall cost of moving? I may be hauling my wife, child, and myself 8 hours away, and am trying to gauge finances. How early before school begins is best to get settled? Any tips for settling in a completely new part of the country before classes hit?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have a whole life traveling with you I'd probably recommend 2 weeks before orientation.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that moved out of state for medical school, what was the overall cost of moving? I may be hauling my wife, child, and myself 8 hours away, and am trying to gauge finances. How early before school begins is best to get settled? Any tips for settling in a completely new part of the country before classes hit?
I plan on moving in June, that way my wife has plenty of time to find a job, go on interviews and we can get acclimated to the area

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on moving in June, that way my wife has plenty of time to find a job, go on interviews and we can get acclimated to the area

This definitely isn't a bad idea if you can swing it. I moved in basically July 1 and my wife had a lot of trouble finding a job in that amount of time. Granted, she's computer science... But still, more time is better. I was in a very rural area with very few jobs and most are first come, first serve.

This definitely isn't a bad idea if you can swing it. I moved in basically July 1 and my wife had a lot of trouble finding a job in that amount of time. Granted, she's computer science... But still, more time is better. It's a very rural area with very few jobs and most are first come, first serve.
She's a teacher, she's paid through summer and interviews summers

Any estimates on how much the move cost?

Any estimates on how much the move cost?
Uhaul will let you rent a trailer for like $30... I can hook it up to a Kia Soul lol. But I'll have family help with a large truck. Gas for a 10 HR trip

I'd move a month before if financially possible. I did that and had time for a vacation and explore a new city.

Is this the first time you've moved? I've moved a ton and it's always more expensive than I remember even though I do it on an almost yearly basis, ha.

For moving expenses if you plan to drive a truck yourself, then you can go to uhaul.com and put in your starting and ending location and it'll give you an estimate of how much it'll cost. Plus factor in if you want to hire movers to lug your belongings on to the truck.

Then, add in money for food for eating out which will invariably happen while you're settling in to your new place.

Lastly, account for all of the miscellaneous items you'll need to buy once you get to your new place. For example, I usually don't haul my shower curtain liners with me as it's about time to get new ones anyway, so plan to make a trip to Target or wherever to buy new items for your place.

I assume you'll be renting? So also need to factor in a down payment and first month's rent (and possibly last month's rent depending on where you're moving to).

I'd give yourself a decent budget if possible.

Reactions: 2 users
It really depends. I moved a large amount of stuff / family. I paid about 600$ I think. uHaul is really expensive, use Penske. Also don't forget stuff like needing to pay your landlord right away, stuff you might need when you move in, have to go shopping quickly, etc.

and you'll probably have to pay to set up cable like your first bill or something. Look into renting a truck and driving it yourself. It's much cheaper than hiring a company. I think I paid $2,500 several years ago to move a 2 bedroom house from NC to TX.

I also moved the weekend before orientation started. Figured I had orientation week to work on unpacking. And I wanted to work my fulltime job as long as possible for the $$.

The first time my wife and I moved from Virginia to California, we sold everything we owned at a yard sale, packed our car and hit the road. Cost was gas, food and hotels. If you have furniture, etc. the cost goes up. If you have a lot of stuff and need a mover, the cost increases again. We have moved our kids for school multiple times. We pack cars and trailer and hit the road. In short, it's impossible to help you with costs without knowing your circumstances. The cost can vary from hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'll be moving as well, but with no other family members.
My suggestions are to move 1-2 months in advance to really get situated if your wife isn't working/if it's possible.
File for a change of address at USPS.
Possibly change driver's license and/or state residency and shop for health/car/other insurance. The 1-2 months is needed for a utility bill to prove residency.
Change addresses on accounts (credit cards, banks, etc.)

The "cost" of moving early seems pretty low since it'll be in the summer. However, if there are other things you have to take care of when you start and when your wife's working, it'll add unnecessary stress that could've been avoided.

My wife and I are moving mid April. We are currently living in Eastern Idaho and it's dreadful for her to find a job (medical assisting). The Budget Truck rental is $550 to go down to Denver.We're essentially using our tax refund to pay for our overall trip.