Moving locations after residency...how hard is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrbanDweller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a new MS3 that has had an interest in derm for a while. I waited to pursue it more until I got my Step 1 scores. Anyways, I ended up doing well. Since the match process for derm is so competitive it seems like a crapshoot of where you end up. I'm in med school in the Midwest and for the last several years wanted to move out to the West coast. I know that it will be difficult to match into derm and especially to one of the coasts. My question is, if I complete residency somewhere and will still like to continue in academic medicine will I be able to obtain a job out west? Is it usually done or do people end up staying where they complete derm residency?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm a new MS3 that has had an interest in derm for a while. I waited to pursue it more until I got my Step 1 scores. Anyways, I ended up doing well. Since the match process for derm is so competitive it seems like a crapshoot of where you end up. I'm in med school in the Midwest and for the last several years wanted to move out to the West coast. I know that it will be difficult to match into derm and especially to one of the coasts. My question is, if I complete residency somewhere and will still like to continue in academic medicine will I be able to obtain a job out west? Is it usually done or do people end up staying where they complete derm residency?

Thanks!

It can be done, there's more flexibility for you too if you are OK with academics

It can be done, there's more flexibility for you too if you are OK with academics

Huh? I haven't found that to be the case for academics...it's actually a magnitude harder, as many places are having hiring freezes. I've found a lot of interest for places in academia in the Midwest and other places people don't really want to live. But, as a far as living in Manhattan or Chicago, the pay is low (relative to living standards), and it seems like you have to know someone to get the early jump on positions. Most academic positions are usually also posted, so there's a long review process and a search committee, typically.

I'm actually going through this process now, and it's a real pain...might just go back to business....

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh? I haven't found that to be the case for academics...it's actually a magnitude harder, as many places are having hiring freezes. I've found a lot of interest for places in academia in the Midwest and other places people don't really want to live. But, as a far as living in Manhattan or Chicago, the pay is low (relative to living standards), and it seems like you have to know someone to get the early jump on positions. Most academic positions are usually also posted, so there's a long review process and a search committee, typically.

I'm actually going through this process now, and it's a real pain...might just go back to business....

Really? I looked into several academic positions on the West Coast and found it manageable to navigate for the most part (admittedly did not look into places like Manhattan or Chicago)

A couple of places had hiring freezes but were able to negotiate for attendings physicians (the freeze was more for ancillary support)

It did help to know a couple of people who could give me the scoop on various programs. The contract negotiation process did take longer than I expected (perhaps they were reviewing other interviewees?)

I really, really think the job market is tighter than they are telling it. Anecdotally, I know it to be true in many cities with academic centers. Even academia -- once the neglected bastard position for most grads -- has seen a huge influx. That alone should tell you something.

Thank you AAD & the Workforce Task Force.

I really, really think the job market is tighter than they are telling it. Anecdotally, I know it to be true in many cities with academic centers. Even academia -- once the neglected bastard position for most grads -- has seen a huge influx. That alone should tell you something.

Thank you AAD & the Workforce Task Force.

Yeah...I'm going to agree w/ Mohs...looks like a lot of the open spots are in academia...we're all ending up getting employed one way or another. The era of the private practice derm is in its twilight....

I've been perusing jobs, and it's pretty hard getting stuff in desirable places unless I want to take a huge pay cut.