moving question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am attending USUHS (Navy) this fall, and the materials I have say that I need to contact a "travel office" at a local military installation. I have called a ton of places, and no one seems to know what I need or even what I should be looking for. I have an apartment lined up in Bethesda for early June, and I want to do a Do It Yourself Move - I'm really just looking to have the cost of a u-haul reimbursed. Does anyone have any idea how I go about setting this up?

Also, as far as getting to OIS, what type of paper work do I need in order to get reimbursed for a plane ticket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about moving your stuff, I'll leave it for someone else, BUT: DO NOT BUY your own ticket. NMETC's order processor will arrange, purchase and provide you with your e-ticket. Heard it's damn near impossible to be reimbursed for a privately-purchased ticket in this case. If you are settled in DC before OIS, think about taking your car to Newport. Might be a bit of a drive but once liberty comes, you will be a very popular shipmate if you possess a mode of transport. Newport is a fun spot in the summer.

SInce you are Navy, I would call the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, and get a number for "PSD". Any Navy active duty person will know what you're talking about. Call PSD, they are the administrative folks and the travel office will be part of that department. If you are doing a DITY move, you should just be able to save all of your receipts and file it once you get there. The biggest thing you will need are the weights of your vehicle, one empty and one full. Most truck stop type gas stations have these scales, and yes, they will weigh your tiny little car on that big scale. DITY reimbursement is based on weight of goods moved. They will pay for your Uhaul also. Save every receipt, tolls, etc. Good luck, welcome to the Navy

Members don't see this ad :)
Navy Dive Doc said:
SInce you are Navy, I would call the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, and get a number for "PSD". Any Navy active duty person will know what you're talking about. Call PSD, they are the administrative folks and the travel office will be part of that department. If you are doing a DITY move, you should just be able to save all of your receipts and file it once you get there. The biggest thing you will need are the weights of your vehicle, one empty and one full. Most truck stop type gas stations have these scales, and yes, they will weigh your tiny little car on that big scale. DITY reimbursement is based on weight of goods moved. They will pay for your Uhaul also. Save every receipt, tolls, etc. Good luck, welcome to the Navy

I'll add to DiveDoc's good advice that you should save receipts for boxes, packing tape, foam popcorn, etc. While you can't get paid back for them, you can use them to decrease the amount of "taxable income" generated by the check the folks from Norfolk will send you for the move. Unless I am recalling incorrectly (I last DITY's 2 years ago) you still have to go to Personal Property, which is NOT part of PSD, to get counseled on the DITY move and do your paperwork that you will then submit AFTER the move to get reimbursed. I wouldn't just take off driving in a truck with your stuff and expect to get reimbursed.

Spang

I hate to move! Therefore, I would never do a DITY move when the military will pay someone to pack your stuff, move it, and unpack it for you. No receipts to save, no strained muscles, and no sore butt from the seat in the UHaul. :laugh:

For anyone in the Air Force, the people that set up your moves are in the TMO (Travel Management Office).

mikeS said:
I am attending USUHS (Navy) this fall, and the materials I have say that I need to contact a "travel office" at a local military installation. I have called a ton of places, and no one seems to know what I need or even what I should be looking for. I have an apartment lined up in Bethesda for early June, and I want to do a Do It Yourself Move - I'm really just looking to have the cost of a u-haul reimbursed. Does anyone have any idea how I go about setting this up?

Also, as far as getting to OIS, what type of paper work do I need in order to get reimbursed for a plane ticket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

DO NOT do a DITY move for your first move in the military. There is too much to know about the military system to get reimbursed properly that you will not know about. Plus, you may not be able to do one for your very first move and will have to check into it. Trust me on this one.
Hope you had luck getting in touch with your PSD. If your local military facility is an Air Force Base, then the office you want is called TMO (Traffic Management Office).