Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

moving to another state

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LauraFairlie, May 12, 2007.

1. LauraFairlie

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone!
    I'm applying for the class of 2008 in August, after I take my MCAT. Before that, I'll be graduating from my undergrad collge in NY, and will move to California with my parents in mid-June. I'm very confused as to how this application process will take place. Would I still be a NY resident once I move to California? I called UC Irvine to ask them about becoming a California resident, but it seems very complicated b/c I'd have to somehow "prove" that I'd be living there for more than a year. What should I put on my AMCAS application when they ask about my legal residence? I'd really appreciate your help!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spospo

spospo Going to extremes

Medical Student
    are you a resident of NY? if you are, i would stick with that if you could. CA applicants have a hard time because there are so many of them. as long as you are a NY resident, i would stick with that just to make it a tiny bit easier on you. there are plenty of good state schools in NY that may give you a bit of an edge. just my opinion though

4. uhohspaghettio

Banned

if I were you, I would keep the NY resident status. :thumbup:

5. Doc Henry

Doc Henry blowin' in the wind

Pre-Medical
    Not to steal the thread...but I had a similar question. I'm a WA resident possibly moving to CA. I have a feeling I'd be better off in WA with just the one school vs being in a CA applicant with the multiple UC schools that get tons of applicants.

ANY OPINIONS???

6. spospo

spospo Going to extremes

Medical Student
    i'd stick with WA. yes, we just have one school, but you have a better chance at the one school than you have at all the cali's as a cali resident UNLESS you have super stats.