1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

moving to another state

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LauraFairlie, May 12, 2007.

1. LauraFairlie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone!
    I'm applying for the class of 2008 in August, after I take my MCAT. Before that, I'll be graduating from my undergrad collge in NY, and will move to California with my parents in mid-June. I'm very confused as to how this application process will take place. Would I still be a NY resident once I move to California? I called UC Irvine to ask them about becoming a California resident, but it seems very complicated b/c I'd have to somehow "prove" that I'd be living there for more than a year. What should I put on my AMCAS application when they ask about my legal residence? I'd really appreciate your help!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spospo

spospo Going to extremes
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    are you a resident of NY? if you are, i would stick with that if you could. CA applicants have a hard time because there are so many of them. as long as you are a NY resident, i would stick with that just to make it a tiny bit easier on you. there are plenty of good state schools in NY that may give you a bit of an edge. just my opinion though

4. uhohspaghettio

uhohspaghettio Membership Revoked
    Removed

if I were you, I would keep the NY resident status. :thumbup:

5. Doc Henry

Doc Henry blowin' in the wind
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Not to steal the thread...but I had a similar question. I'm a WA resident possibly moving to CA. I have a feeling I'd be better off in WA with just the one school vs being in a CA applicant with the multiple UC schools that get tons of applicants.

ANY OPINIONS???

6. spospo

spospo Going to extremes
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'd stick with WA. yes, we just have one school, but you have a better chance at the one school than you have at all the cali's as a cali resident UNLESS you have super stats.