Moving to gain residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JamesAGould

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So in looking at the cost of tuition at schools in California and given how amazingly competitive they are, I am considering moving to a different state this year to gain residency for when I apply next year, assuming I won't be able to gain acceptance this year (these forums make me think I have about a 60% chance of getting in). I am thinking that if it costs me $30,000 less to attend a school such as Florida Gulf Coast University, it would just make more financial sense. Has anyone done this? Thoughts?
 
I moved from CA to TX for PT school for this very reason, and am paying less than half of what I would have paid at the cheapest CA school. A lot of TX schools offer in-state tuition as a scholarship, which is what I got. I was also able to eventually get residency because my husband worked in TX full-time for over a year.