Moving to Memphis for SCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedrazer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So, I'm going to be moving to Memphis this August for the beginning of a long and arduous four years, but haven't found a place to live in yet. I was wondering if anyone that went to SCO could give me some tips/hints/suggestions on where I should live, look at, consider, or avoid. Also, it would be nice if anyone could give me some thoughts on living in Memphis in general as an optometry student.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It has been about 9 years since I first moved to Memphis, but I still have a lot of fond memories there. I lived at the University Cabanas my first year. There were a bunch of SCO students there as well as UT Med and U of Memphis students. It was less than 10 minutes from SCO. We had a lot of fun there. I don't even know if it still exists though or if it has gone downhill since we left town. Talk to the ladies in admissions for a recommendation. They will know what places are nice, safe, and inhabited by your classmates instead of thugs.

Memphis is a fun town. Ask the SCO folks where not to go. You will figure out real quick what is safe and what is not. My 1st year roommate and I drove way down Florida Street our first week there to a place called Bob Furniture to buy some used stuff for our apartment. It was way shady and a real eye opener.

Downtown was really getting better when I was there. Beale Street was fun. Redbirds games at Autozone Park are a blast. The Peabody Place was a good place to spend a day. I hope you like BBQ and Mexican food because there were a ton of great restaurants there. Check out the BBQ Shop on Madison about 5 minutes East of SCO. It is to die for. We still get some via FedEx from time to time!

Get down there early so you can find your way around town and hang out with some of your classmates. Have fun!

Sunnie (in the admissions office) will tell you where not to live, she gave me a lot of good recommendations. My husband and I are buying a house out east near Bartlett.

My OD went to SCO and he and his wife lived in University Cabana - he recommended it to me but I did some research and decided not to live there - evidently drugs are a big problem. A good review website is apartmentratings.com.

To get you started:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TN-Memphis-University-Cabana-Apartments.html

Hope this helps! See you in the fall! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
one of my classmates that lived in the cabanas had his ceiling collaspe on him this year. yea rent is very cheap like 400 bucks for 2 bedrooms, but safety and quality are an issue.

most students live on mud island or out in cordova area.

good luck!

The Cabanas USED to be the place to live but virtually noone lives there anymore.
The most popular place for students is on mud island. Riverset are the cheapest/least attractive apartments...depending on your budget you can go really nice or settle for riverset (lots do :p). The island is great because it's SAFE, close to school (less than 15min), close to downtown (about 5min), and very pretty.

I always thought the razor wire fence and the armed guard at the Cabanas were a nice touch. It's too bad they've gone downhill. Mud Island must have gotten cheaper because that's where the kids with money lived from our class. It was very nice.

DO NOT LIVE AT THE CABANAS!!!

I agree w/ the others... Mud Island or Cordova. I'm on the island.

EyeDocPlus - where in VA are you?

also - we looked at Mud Island too, from what I can gather it's still more expensive than the rest of the city. Our house payment is going to be lower than renting a 2 bedroom!