Moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smrt_n_frndly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to head off and start the first year of my Clinical program and while this time is certainly exciting, there is also a strange sense of loss as a byproduct of relocating.

Any advice on how to deal with adjusting to a new town and program? This will only be the second time I am moving to a new town since I was lucky to spend the last 7 years in San Diego. I suppose I'm just a little scared and looking for a little reassurance from any veterans on the board who had an easy or a hard time and how they were able cope.

Members don't see this ad.

Done it several times, including other countries. Look at it as a challenge and a sort of vacation from all you have known. It is great to anonymous in a new city...relish it.

mod

I've moved several times as well - and it is definitely an adjustment. Similar to psisci's vacation idea, one thing that I always do is go to Amazon and find some "guide books" for the area where I'll be living. Read up on restaurants and cafes, local actitivities, etc. I've found that it always gets me excited to explore a new area of the country!

smrt_n_frndly said:
I'm about ready to head off and start the first year of my Clinical program and while this time is certainly exciting, there is also a strange sense of loss as a byproduct of relocating.

Any advice on how to deal with adjusting to a new town and program? This will only be the second time I am moving to a new town since I was lucky to spend the last 7 years in San Diego. I suppose I'm just a little scared and looking for a little reassurance from any veterans on the board who had an easy or a hard time and how they were able cope.

just think that most of your cohort will be on the same boat... what actually helped me was that I purposely lived in a dorm for my first year...that way I was close to the psych building, library, student center--grad students, gym... it was nice meeting other students (off course, politely stayed away from some very young looking undergrads...) I'm sure you will feel at home in no time... plus, first year is usually pretty darn busy so you won't have time to feel lonely... you'll have your books to keep you company :)