Moving...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jen4clinical

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be on the forum somewhere else, if so feel free to merge me and I apologize ahead of time!

How have/are people dealing with moving cross-country? I'm a little anxious about leaving my friends/family/SO. On the other hand it's exciting to think of going somewhere new... I haven't committed to leaving yet but it looks like it might be going in that direction...

Members don't see this ad.

This may be on the forum somewhere else, if so feel free to merge me and I apologize ahead of time!

How have/are people dealing with moving cross-country? I'm a little anxious about leaving my friends/family/SO. On the other hand it's exciting to think of going somewhere new... I haven't committed to leaving yet but it looks like it might be going in that direction...

Did you stay basically home for college? If so, and this is the first time moving so far away, the only thing I can say is dwell on the excitment/adventure part. Your friends and family are proud of you and although it will be sad to leave, knowing that will help.

I am on the other side of where you are (moving for internship in about 2 1/2 months) plus I will have my wife and step son with me. We are making an adventure out of it, but still acknowledging the stress and sadness of leaving everyone behind.

Originally, Summer '08 was when my wife and I would have been moving home to Queens, NYC, from Cambridge, MA.

Then I got into Rutgers. So it's gonna be so near, yet so far.

My wife will be the breadwinner, and will be working in Manhattan, so we're looking for places with a close commute to Midtown, and still drivable to New Brunswick. Jersey City seems like the best bet.

So, it'll be like going home, except with the privilege of paying $2500 a month in rent for a 1 bedroom apartment instead of a fifth of that in her Queens co-op.

Less of an adventure, more of a facepalm. Damn me and my ambition! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am feeling the stress of moving practically across country. I'm leaving everything I've ever known behind (even the cold weather)! And am getting ready to spend the next five years of my life in south florida....eeek.

Thrak, New Brunswick is waaaay cheaper than Jersey City, and only adds about 10 mins to the train commute into the city. Definitely avoid driving into New Brunswick if at all possible. I drive into Rutgers every day via Rt.1/Rt.18 and it sucks HUGELY.

Right now I'm struggling with the frustration of knowing exactly where I'm moving, and having it be too early to start looking for apartments :mad: I need to fulfill my compulsive need to plan, dammit!

I've already talked to you a bit about this, but I had one other thought. One thing that helps me focus on the exciting, adventure side of moving instead of the sad part of it is that I know it is temporary. Yes, I know it is a large chunk of time, so you have to be pleased and at peace with where you are living. However, I consider myself lucky to be given this opportunity at this stage of my life, when I don't have a husband, kids, etc. to consider (not that it can't be done if you do, but it just makes it easier) and I can just pick up & move to the West coast.

Ultimately, I don't think I'm going to stay on the West coast, I'm much more of an East coast person... I moved to NY for a reason... bc everyone is as anxious & uptight here as I am! :D However, I think these coming several years will be the kind of thing where I look back & think, "It was kind of cool that I got to live there for 5 (or whatever) years."

Also, the students told me that most people from the East coast go back that way to do internship. I think ultimately choose the school that you will be happiest at all things considered, whether that be a school closer by or one you get a better vibe from far away. OK... I will stop trying to coerce you now! :laugh: Good luck with your decision!

Thrak, New Brunswick is waaaay cheaper than Jersey City, and only adds about 10 mins to the train commute into the city. Definitely avoid driving into New Brunswick if at all possible. I drive into Rutgers every day via Rt.1/Rt.18 and it sucks HUGELY.

In an ideal world, I'd love to, but it ain't gonna happen. My wife has chronic pain and neck problems... the commute from (probably) Newport-Pavonia to Midtown will be about as long as she can take. Plus, she'll be a newly-minted corporate lawyer... 12 hour days will be the norm. The shorter her commute, the better for both of us.

I'm also already used to crappy commutes. If this means anything to you, for various jobs, I drove from Queens to White Plains, from Queens to Valhalla, and (*shudder*) from Queens to East Orange, NJ. Nothing beats having to cross the East River and Hudson River twice a day. :thumbdown:

JC to New Brunswick will be a cakewalk by comparison :D

I have such mixed feelings about moving. I'll be headed to the South from the Midwest, away from all family, friends, and SO as well. One day I feel so excited and the next day so sad about leaving! I seem to be having mood swings...Anyway, my overall feeling about it is definitely positive...but getting used to seeing my SO probably once a month is not so exciting. :( Anyone else feel so stressed about finding an apartment/moving/adjusting all before August?

I definitely would never move where I am moving if not for grad school, but it's only ~5 years and we will all most likely be moving somewhere else after that. My plan is to move back to the West coast, so I'm going to spend the next 5 years working my butt off to ensure that I have options! I figure I'll be so busy in the lab that I could be in L.A. or Antarctica and I'd be none the wiser (in a temperature controlled building, of course). By the way, this is me talking myself into leaving Southern California :cool:.

Right now I'm struggling with the frustration of knowing exactly where I'm moving, and having it be too early to start looking for apartments :mad: I need to fulfill my compulsive need to plan, dammit!

I have such mixed feelings about moving. I'll be headed to the South from the Midwest, away from all family, friends, and SO as well. One day I feel so excited and the next day so sad about leaving! I seem to be having mood swings...Anyway, my overall feeling about it is definitely positive...but getting used to seeing my SO probably once a month is not so exciting. :( Anyone else feel so stressed about finding an apartment/moving/adjusting all before August?

BorntoRun, I know EXACTLY how you're feeling. I started looking for apartments and they all thought I was crazy because they won't know about openings in August yet. Plus, I'm compulsively checking my e-mail to see if anyone from the lab/university has sent me a message about ANYTHING. I'm also heading south from the Midwest. I stayed home for my UG (moved onto campus but it was only 10 minutes from my parents house). My SO is here and all of my friends. I'm thinking "Oh God, I don't know if I can do this" one minute and "Is it august yet?!" the next. I swear each day is taking twice as long as the one before it and I've still got soooooo many more. Plus I'm working full time right now at a job that is tremendously boring for me so I can wait until I'm done here which won't be until July 31st at the earliest. Ack!!!

Holy s*** I'm going to a PhD program.

I guess I am lucky in some ways because I cannot wait to get out of my situation right now. I have been working for a year at a job that is ALL paper work & incredibly boring. I live in NYC which I love, but I have to work 2 part-time jobs ontop of my FT to make rent. Plus, all my friends have moved out of the city so I CANNOT WAIT to move on to something else!

I also don't have a SO, which makes it easy. I had totally forgotten that people have to deal with that. I can imagine that is very difficult. I am always so impressed with how people make their relationships work around grad school. I have a friend whose husband commutes 4 hours a day into the city so that they can live by her school!

thrak, be sure to check jclist.com for insider info on the nabe. I work in JC and have often thought of moving here. It's really nice near the water.

I'm moving from my country!
Granted, I did my undergrad in FL and will be attending another school in FL, it'll be a fairly familiar environment.
I would've been home for 1.5 years. So leaving will be hard. But I am looking more to the excitement of starting school and all the knowledge that lies ahead.

You guys should be thankful for such great inventions like IMs and unlimited night minutes. :) During my undergrad years, those kept me sane and warded off many tears.