moxifloxacin

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nafcillin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell my why ophthalmologists like moxifloxacin (systemic NOT drops) so much opposed to other fluoroquinolones? It was something awful like an orbital tear (I don't remember exactly what it was, either this or corneal lesion, I know, big huge difference between the two). Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Levo and Moxi have better penetration into the aqueous and vitreous. So we use them alot in open globe injuries. I have only used them once or twice for a really funky corneal ulcer but again same theory on why these 2 are best among the quinolones.

Can anyone tell my why ophthalmologists like moxifloxacin (systemic NOT drops) so much opposed to other fluoroquinolones? It was something awful like an orbital tear (I don't remember exactly what it was, either this or corneal lesion, I know, big huge difference between the two). Thanks in advance!

It might be because they have rceeived consistent results with it. I have never tried moxi but I do prefer Levaquin. Nice dosing and very powerful.

I believe moxi has better lipophilicity, hence better delivery, than other fluoroquinolones. Also the dosing is more simple which enhances patient compliance.