Technology MP3 Player...which one should I get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys

Which MP3 player should I get? I am not sure. I was thinking of getting the IPod but I am not sure. I am probably going to use it in the gym. Any advice?
 
swifteagle43 said:
Hey guys

Which MP3 player should I get? I am not sure. I was thinking of getting the IPod but I am not sure. I am probably going to use it in the gym. Any advice?

My psychic abilities predict that this thread shall soon be moved out of this forum and into a brand new home 😀.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NO IPOD, save the money,

who needs 50,000 MP3's on a small computer,

Go with flash media MP3, I just ordered a 512mb flash mp3 media player.

They are about as big as a keychain, they double as a USB thumb drive also. Some even have FM radios.

The flash media can be used over and over again and all you have to do is plug the player into the USB drive

I paid under $90 for a 512mb player (about 120 songs) and I can change these songs whenever I want.

I have not used this player yet so check back in a week and I will tell you but IPOD's are larger, fragiler and expensiver.

Go to ebay and do a search for "USB MP3 player" or you can search with a size for the player such as 128, 256, 512 or even 1gig
 
dear god get an ipod!!!!

failing this get one with a hard drive. the "oh i dont need 50,000 songs in my pocket" prevails only until you have 50,000 songs in your pocket and then you need each and every one like you need oxygen.
 
crys20 said:
I'm getting a pink mini ipod for xmas 😀

I'm getting blue!!! I'm so excited.

As to the OP, I currently have a very nice iriver one (256MB) that I got right after the MCAT (a gift for surviving). I wanted an ipod at the time, but this was a lot cheaper so I figured it would work. I mainly use it at the gym. However, I have found that it can only hold about 5 CDs worth of music. If you are not very lazy, this is probably the way to go. I on the other hand, hate having to plug it into the computer and search for what music I want, then spend time downloading it, etc. The convenience of having the HD right on my arm has made me want to get the ipod. As an aside, I am giving the iriver to my girlfriend to use at the gym, and I am sure it will be good enough for her. My other reason for wanting the ipod is for trips. When I went on my interviews, I spent a lot of time travelling and ended up hearing the same music repeatedly!!! I spent many a repeated song wishing for an ipod.
 
RunMimi said:
I have a Rio MP3 player that I got last Christmas. I really like it. I also had another one briefly--long story. Anyways, Rio had really good/easy software for changing up the songs. I use mine to run, so its definitely good for exercise uses and it has an FM tuner. Its kind of ugly though 🙁

I second this suggestion. Have one that I bought for running and it's awesome. Comes with an armband, which I've actually misplaced but I just clip it onto my pants/shorts instead. Love it!
 
I have a green mini iPod too. I would recommended it highly. But I hate using iTunes. Its such a hassle. And make sure you have FireWire. Using USB is insanely slow (at least on my comp)
 
I loooove my iPod.

I recently got the radio broadcaster so I can listen to my mp3s on my car stereo 😀
 
i would say no to the ipod. the ipod is a great device, but it's an over-priced, label-driven product. the fact is, the technology it uses is entirely outdated; to charge $250 for the mini, or $300+ for the regular sized is ridiculous considering it doesn't have a built-in mic, uses a monochrome screen (come on, it's 2004), no video, and is basically a pretty simple music player. many people pay the price for the style (which is totally fine), but even that is beginning to be lost; the ipod has become too ubiquitous to be considered "hip" -- in my med school class alone, there are several people with either the ipod or mini.

personally, i would go with something else, even if just for the elusive factor. Phillips makes a 10GB (maybe more?) one in black that is quite sleek. BenQ has a small, square-shaped one that can actually display song lyrics with the music. the music player i use is the Panasonic D-Snap (SV-AS10). it's a 4-in-1 device (captures 2mpixel pictures, video, sound, and plays music), with a 65K+ color 1.5" LCD, rotating lens, flash, built-in mic, built-in mono speaker, all packaged in an aluminum body about the size of a credit card and just 1cm thick. the D-Snap doesn't have internal memory, so you can use SD cards up to 1GB. but that's just me though... i wouldn't be comfortable paying $250+ for a device that can only do one thing; the D-Snap was the same price as an ipod mini, but in its case, i felt the price was justified by the design and functions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fielight said:
i would say no to the ipod. the ipod is a great device, but it's an over-priced, label-driven product. the fact is, the technology it uses is entirely outdated; to charge $250 for the mini, or $300+ for the regular sized is ridiculous considering it doesn't have a built-in mic, uses a monochrome screen (come on, it's 2004), no video, and is basically a pretty simple music player. QUOTE]

Good points....for me, the ipod offers a small size, a lot of storage, and most importantly has the BEST SOUND QUALITY. I am getting an MP3 player to listen to music, nothing else. From everything I have seen the ipod is the standard simply because of these three factors. As far as I have heard or seen no other player has reached this combination.
 
I agree that the iPod is pretty overpriced. If you want a warehouse for your music, Amazon is selling a 30 GB player by Creative that's only $180 after rebate and has gotten pretty good ratings. If you know you're gonna be subjecting your player to lots of jostling, though, avoild any hard drive-based player and get a flash-based one instead.
 
i bought the pny mp3 vibe player 512mb version from buy.com it can function as a jump drive, fm tuner, lecture record, mp3 and wma player.

after rebates currently it will be 85 dollars.


only draw back it is only usb 1 but i am no hurry i guess
 
I have a Creative Muvo TX with 256MB (they come cheap with 512MB now) -- http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo_tx/ . You load it like a jump drive -- mine has USB 2 so it's fast -- and it's super-light. It runs for many hours (10-12?) on a single AAA, and I don't have to worry about a rechargeable battery wearing out.

I think iPods are really cool, but I like my MuVo better because I don't worry about hurting it when I'm carrying it around. It's so light that when I've literally dropped it on the ground a couple times it was fine.
 
I have a Dell Digital Jukebox and its been fantastico for me. Holds 15 gig, software is easy to use, downloading is pretty quick, and I really like the buttons on it, compared to the heat sensitive iPOD thingies. Costs 200 bucks, and is durable ( dropped it more than once with no ill effects). IT's nice because I have a few thousand MP3 files, and this way I can free up some much needed space on my desktop. Looks like the new ones are smaller, lighter, and more flashier as well... 👍
 
Im sticking with my flash memory, I can jog, jump, run, skip, flip, hop, bounce without skipping, and I can change the songs while jogging. Ipod's may have 25 minutes of skip protection but its not really the skipping that youre worried about it is the breaking that is bad. I can store plenty of songs, around 1200. no softwar necessary just drag and drop the songs on the player which is about the size of a keychain, also doubles as a USB flash drive. It has a bad FM radio on it and the voice recorder is built in and records around 200 hours of audio.

And it was delivered to my door for under $90. VL336, visual land

So maybe I just like things to be simple and cheap but if I want to store 50,000 songs I will have a laptop.
 
Datko said:
Im sticking with my flash memory, I can jog, jump, run, skip, flip, hop, bounce without skipping, and I can change the songs while jogging. Ipod's may have 25 minutes of skip protection but its not really the skipping that youre worried about it is the breaking that is bad. I can store plenty of songs, around 1200. no softwar necessary just drag and drop the songs on the player which is about the size of a keychain, also doubles as a USB flash drive. It has a bad FM radio on it and the voice recorder is built in and records around 200 hours of audio.

And it was delivered to my door for under $90. VL336, visual land

So maybe I just like things to be simple and cheap but if I want to store 50,000 songs I will have a laptop.

Hmmm...that VL336 looks enticing. I was just looking for it on the internet. It seems you can't get this at any stores, but only online? Also, do you have formatting problems with it?
 
I love my ipod. But I'd never pay full price for it. Come to think I didn't pay anything for it, so it worked out fine.
 
Definitely an iPod! Anything else, and you might as well be listening to an audio cassette walkman. 😎
 
do you have to buy special itunes for the ipod? or can i use all the bootleg music i already have on my computer?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad