MPH for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted awhile back regarding my interest in EM. Anyway, the prospective schools that I have all have MD/MPH programs.

I certainly have an interest in public health and I realize that this degree may help expand career opportunities for me in the future. In addition to the clinical aspect of medicine, a MPH MAY prepare me to function as a administrator in medicine.

Anyway, for those with an MPH, did you find it helpful when applying for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Although most people I went to school with thought an MPH was not seen as a positive when applying to residency (they called it a Master of Pizza Hut lolz), I was asked about mine on every EM residency interview. Most of the interviewers saw it as a plus - so if you're interested I say go for it.

An MPH is a career builder down the road if you are interested in public health and advocacy. It is not a clinical credential per se and is not seen as such by residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)