MPH or MS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffinatedveggie

Reaction score
Hi! I am considering reapplication for the 2022 cycle. This past cycle, I interviewed at 3 places, WL at 2 of them, and am waiting on the 3rd. However, I will probably not hear from the 3rd until May, so I am thinking about gap year/reapplication plans. I was recently accepted into a 1 year accelerated MPH and an SMP, anyone have any advice on which would be more valuable? I have a 3.77 GPA (3.56 sGPA), 511 MCAT, a little under 1000 research hours with 2 (almost 3) publications, 200 clinical volunteer hours, and 60 shadowing hours. I am thinking my science GPA hurt me this past application cycle, so I am considering an SMP, but I feel like an MPH will be more valuable for my long-term career (residencies, etc). Does anyone have any thoughts on which program could best improve my application for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am considering reapplication for the 2022 cycle. This past cycle, I interviewed at 3 places, WL at 2 of them, and am waiting on the 3rd. However, I will probably not hear from the 3rd until May, so I am thinking about gap year/reapplication plans. I was recently accepted into a 1 year accelerated MPH and an SMP, anyone have any advice on which would be more valuable? I have a 3.77 GPA (3.56 sGPA), 511 MCAT, a little under 1000 research hours with 2 (almost 3) publications, 200 clinical volunteer hours, and 60 shadowing hours. I am thinking my science GPA hurt me this past application cycle, so I am considering an SMP, but I feel like an MPH will be more valuable for my long-term career (residencies, etc). Does anyone have any thoughts on which program could best improve my application for next cycle?
It's hard to advise you without knowing your school list. Depending on where you applied it could be your MCAT more than your sGPA.

My opinion is that SMPs are expensive and risky and thus should only be used by those who need significant or unrecoverable grade repair (e.g. me who only had a 2.84 cGPA). If you do an SMP and don't perform extremely well (3.5+ for DO, 3.7+ for MD), it could significantly weaken or destroy your future med school chances. If I were in your shoes I would not do an SMP and instead focus on strengthening my MCAT or refining my school list.

I have no good experience with MPH, but my gut says that an MPH probably doesn't benefit a med school application significantly. If you'd eventually get it anyway then go for it, but I don't think getting it for the sole purpose of your med school or residency application would be worth it.

It's hard to advise you without knowing your school list. Depending on where you applied it could be your MCAT more than your sGPA.

My opinion is that SMPs are expensive and risky and thus should only be used by those who need significant or unrecoverable grade repair (e.g. me who only had a 2.84 cGPA). If you do an SMP and don't perform extremely well (3.5+ for DO, 3.7+ for MD), it could significantly weaken or destroy your future med school chances. If I were in your shoes I would not do an SMP and instead focus on strengthening my MCAT or refining my school list.

I have no good experience with MPH, but my gut says that an MPH probably doesn't benefit a med school application significantly. If you'd eventually get it anyway then go for it, but I don't think getting it for the sole purpose of your med school or residency application would be worth it.
Thank you for the input! I am a TX resident so I applied to all the TMDSAS schools. For AMCAS schools, I applied to schools in the 510-514 median MCAT range, but I am posting the full list below.

George Washington
Chicago Med at RFU
Drexel
FSU
Georgetown
Meharry
Penn State
Sidney Kimmel
TCU and UNTHSC
Tulane
University of Arizona Tucson
University of Colorado