mph vs gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted841854

Hello,

I have been putting some thought into what I should do after graduation next spring. I do not plan on taking the MCAT this summer and have decided to take a few years off after my undergrad before applying to medical school. The question is what should I do with the time? Should I try and get into a good MPH program or just take a year or two off and focus on my mcat and shadowing and getting more clinical experience(I do not have any currently)? I am a chemistry major with a premed emphasis with a cum gpa: 3.80 and a science gpa: 3.93

I am a CA resident but go to a school out of state, and have been looking at a few UC programs that offer MPH. I was wondering if this would be worth more of my time rather than just take a few years off to study for mcat, work and get more clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have been putting some thought into what I should do after graduation next spring. I do not plan on taking the MCAT this summer and have decided to take a few years off after my undergrad before applying to medical school. The question is what should I do with the time? Should I try and get into a good MPH program or just take a year or two off and focus on my mcat and shadowing and getting more clinical experience(I do not have any currently)? I am a chemistry major with a premed emphasis with a cum gpa: 3.80 and a science gpa: 3.93

I am a CA resident but go to a school out of state, and have been looking at a few UC programs that offer MPH. I was wondering if this would be worth more of my time rather than just take a few years off to study for mcat, work and get more clinical experience.
Focus on acing the MCAT, work, and clinical experience.

Until you have a solid MCAT score down, medical school admissions will be difficult; with our without an MPH. If you can succeed on your MCAT its perfectly understandable to work a clinical job (i.e. ER Scribe) and then go to medical school.

Hello,

An MPH doesn't add as much to your application as spending that year getting clinical experience would. Don't do an MPH because you are trying to improve your application, do it because you want to do it and are interested in it.

But really, try to get some clinical experience

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're interested in Public Health and can improve your potential app by volunteering and studying for MCAT during or after than I don't see why not. Like others said, it won't do anything/much for your app though.

Fun fact: Every medical school Dean I've met has a MPH.

Why do you want to do an MPH? Hold on be right back, getting my MPH. Ok, I'm back, Anti-PD1, MPH. Now what?

Only get a degree if it's to enhance your knowledge or skillset, not to bide time.

Reactions: 1 users