MRI Tech starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hulk_MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an incoming M1 this year and I am interested in pursuing Radiology (although trying to be open-minded). I have worked as an MRI/CT tech for the past 5 years and becoming a radiologist makes the most sense to me as I enjoy what I do. Are there any former rad techs here who made the leap to radiologist, or does anyone know of someone who has? How much weight will PD’s put in the fact that I used to be a rad tech?

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen a couple of candidates who were previously sonographers or MRI/CT technologists. It will be helpful to you if you apply for radiology residency, giving you a bit of a boost from your baseline application metrics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as an aid to the techs (getting patients gowned, preparing biopsy treys, ran films before mammo was digital, etc.) and just matched into radiology. People loved my story, but I’m also a first gen college student who grew up poor af. I had average stats and matched my #1 into a top/middle tier place.

Reactions: 1 users
Having prior radiology experience and having good reasons for "Why Radiology?" will only help.

You're also at a huge advantage knowing you want to do radiology as an M1. A lot (if not most) folks figure out they want to do radiology late into M3 or early M4. You now have 3 years to build a great radiology resume.

Pass M1-M2, pass Step 1, try to get as many honors as possible in M3 clerkships, get a great CK score, do a decent amount of research, and get to know your home program's radiology faculty!

Last edited:
Random anecdote - a handful of my co-residents were former radiographers. Evidently, part of their registry/certification is that they agreed never to provide interpretations of medical imaging. Their governing body got wind that they were doing so and sent them very nasty letters revoking their certificates. Somehow, the powers-that-be learned this without also learning that they were licensed physicians enrolled in an accredited diagnostic radiology residency.

• Haha
Keep an open mind. Don't pigeonhole yourself in radiology. you may find something else more interesting. I love radiology, and you have a huge advantage for getting into radiology. I just want you to give other fields a real chance.

I think PD's will really like that you were a rad tech.

It will help a little in your R1 year but that will probably even out within a month or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Explore and find what you enjoy. Rule out the specialties you would clearly not want to do (e.g. specialties with dire job prospects, anything that is personally uninteresting, incompatible lifestyle, etc.).

That said it would be an advantage of course if you were to do radiology. If radonc wasn't in oversupply I would say your physics knowledge is probably a bit helpful there too.

Keep an open mind. Med school is the one chance you get to explore all the different fields in medicine and unfortunately most medical students dont get to see most fields due to school structuring.

For instance, I went to a top 10 school and even with that I literally couldn't get to see anesthesia, PMR, EM, nor Path until after I applied for residency as we could only take 1 elective before applying (I chose DR elective). So you have to have an open mind and explore outside of the curriculum. You are probably older than your classmates, so you will be less likely to be swayed by the specialties with lifestyles that could kill you, but you should still keep an open mind as you may enjoy them more.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Thank you everyone for the advice!

I went rads. Although the field isn't as lucrative as it was 20 years ago unless you're going to be a subspecialized surgeon or cardiologist I don't think you can beat the compensation.

A lot of us work from home multiple days a week also and the trend will only grow in the future. It's a really, really amazing perk. I couldn't imagine going back to the office full time.