mRNA transcription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimeforDAT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
mRNA is synthesized 5 to 3. how come on topscore (#13 test 1), it gives the answer from going 3 to 5? Will the actual DAT ever have the mRNA transcript going from 3 to 5?

will they ever put one that goes from 3 to 5 and 5 to 3 both with the correct nucleotide sequence?

Members don't see this ad.

The mRNA is copied from a DNA strand that is 5' to 3'.

Therefore the mRNA will be synthesized 3' to 5'.

Does that make sense?

When they say that DNA replicaiton and RNA synthesis occurs in a 5' to 3' direction, they mean that the template strand is 5' to 3'.

The new strand is being created in a 5' to 3' direction.

The way that textbooks phrase this can be quite confusing.

mRNA is synthesized 5 to 3. how come on topscore (#13 test 1), it gives the answer from going 3 to 5? Will the actual DAT ever have the mRNA transcript going from 3 to 5?

will they ever put one that goes from 3 to 5 and 5 to 3 both with the correct nucleotide sequence?

1 word answer = anti-parellel.

The mRNA is copied from a DNA strand that is 5' to 3'.

Therefore the mRNA will be synthesized 3' to 5'.

Does that make sense?

When they say that DNA replicaiton and RNA synthesis occurs in a 5' to 3' direction, they mean that the template strand is 5' to 3'.

The new strand is being created in a 5' to 3' direction.

The way that textbooks phrase this can be quite confusing.

yeah..the template is being read from the 3 to 5 direction on the 5'3' template..therefore the rna synthesis ,,the RNA strand is being made 5' to 3'...i think that's it right?

So the answer of the RNA strand should be given as 5' to 3'..but the topscore has it from 3' to 5'. I even recall that the Destroyer has a similar question that has the RNA 5' to 3'.
and I know that the correct way to put it would be 5' to 3'.

But i was just wondering if the DAT would actually have two choices with one being 5' to 3' and another going 3' to 5' with the correct rna bases..if so the correct one would still be 5' to 3'?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea seriously if you think the people on Studentdoctor will educate you, you got to reconsider your studying strategy. If you need a tutor contact me ill recommend you someone.

yea seriously if you think the people on Studentdoctor will educate you, you got to reconsider your studying strategy. If you need a tutor contact me ill recommend you someone.

well, I think ppl in SDN are nice enough to teach him :)
I learned a lot of things from here~

yeah..the template is being read from the 3 to 5 direction on the 5'3' template..therefore the rna synthesis ,,the RNA strand is being made 5' to 3'...i think that's it right?

So the answer of the RNA strand should be given as 5' to 3'..but the topscore has it from 3' to 5'. I even recall that the Destroyer has a similar question that has the RNA 5' to 3'.
and I know that the correct way to put it would be 5' to 3'.

But i was just wondering if the DAT would actually have two choices with one being 5' to 3' and another going 3' to 5' with the correct rna bases..if so the correct one would still be 5' to 3'?

I think the DNA template is being read from the 5 to 3 so RNA will be synthesized from 3 to 5.

In DNA replication, the new DNA is synthesized 5' to 3'. In transcription, the new RNA is synthesized 5' to 3'. In translation, the RNA is READ 5' to 3'. If you just remember what happens in one direction, it'll be much easier on you.

The mRNA is made on the template 5' 3'....Since it has to be anti-parrall ....the mRNA itself is synthesized as 3' 5'. Does that make sense?

well, I think ppl in SDN are nice enough to teach him :)
I learned a lot of things from here~

im not saying that the people are not nice enough, but everyday asking questions from various places doesnt make sence to me...if it does to you, feel free to help

I think SDN is a nice source to learn & ask questions. Just by asking question, you are not just clearing your own doubt whereelse also giving other people to review that topic. It gives SDNers chance to teach that material to some1, which according to me is a best way to learn. If you can explain something to some1 else & that person understands it - that means you know your stuff! every1 keep the questions coming:)

Just transcribe the strand in a 3 prime to 5 prime direction, and right it however they ask. For example if the dna template is 5' ATGCGC 3' , you would write the mRNA transcript as 5'GCGCAU3'. Just reverse it if they ask for it in a 3' to 5' direction. Hope that helps.