MS Help with MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdreyman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be applying MD/PhD in the 2019/2020 cycle. I'm thinking about applying to a few Master's programs for the 2019-2020 school year that accept MCAT scores. I am not applying to them simply to improve my chances, i'm genuinely interested in the programs, but MD/PhD is my main goal. I was wondering if doing a Master's program would help with my application? My GPA is a bit on the low side, 3.69, and i'll be getting the results for my MCAT on Tuesday (eek). I have 1000+ hours of research, with 7 pubs (none first author)
(The schools that I am applying to for the MS are a few of my top choices for med school as well)

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.69, a Master's is not useful. For the most part, that is a reasonable cGPA for MD/PhD. 1000 hours of research is in the low side for MD/PhD applicants. For comparison, the median interviewee (at my program) has over 4000 hours of research. It is impressive that you have 7 pubs. You were lucky choosing the right mentor, who seems generous to include people in the lab. I hope that you did well. PM me if needed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My program takes many applicants who are post-bacs - a hard one year of post-bac research full time = 60 x 48 wks = 2880 hours. Add that to 2 years during college of research at 20 hours/wk = 20 x 90 wks = 1800. That is 4600 hours at time of application...

My program takes many applicants who are post-bacs - a hard one year of post-bac research full time = 60 x 48 wks = 2880 hours. Add that to 2 years during college of research at 20 hours/wk = 20 x 90 wks = 1800. That is 4600 hours at time of application...
Hm fair enough, but I didn't realize that so many students took two years off. Some scientists have told me that when you are entering a training pathway that will take already take 12 years, it's best to 'save' those years for when they are more helpful (post-residency). OTOH, my school has sent several kids who went straight through to great programs, and even with rising freshman research (which I know many did not do), they'd have a max of 2-2.5k at the time of application, so I guess having comparatively fewer hours isn't wholly lethal.

About half of MD/PhD matriculants are coming straight out of college. In general, they identified laboratory research as a preferred activity beginning in their freshman/sophomore year. To be a credible candidate for MSTPs, you need to have completed at least a 1000 hours of research, with the intent of doing another 500-1000 during the year of application/interviews. That would show in the quality of your LORs.
Unfortunately, that means that if you are not attending college at a R1 institution, your opportunities would have been dramatically lesser, leading to the need for a year of research post-bac. The NIH IRTA is typically 2 years, with some candidates are ready to apply after one year. In some occasions, the post-bac just needed to complete college in terms of hours and lab experience, and is able to submit in June-August. The problem is that the NIH LOR would not be very good as they have just arrived into the lab.

Regarding your concern of time wasted doing a post-bac. You are about to embark into a career for the next 50-60 years of your life. An important benefit of the lab research post-bac is immersing yourself in research and finding whether you truly love the lifestyle and challenge. One extra year to be sure prior to getting into 50 years of the stuff (misery, toil, tears, and joy)...

Reactions: 2 users
About half of MD/PhD matriculants are coming straight out of college. In general, they identified laboratory research as a preferred activity beginning in their freshman/sophomore year. To be a credible candidate for MSTPs, you need to have completed at least a 1000 hours of research, with the intent of doing another 500-1000 during the year of application/interviews. That would show in the quality of your LORs.
Unfortunately, that means that if you are not attending college at a R1 institution, your opportunities would have been dramatically lesser, leading to the need for a year of research post-bac. The NIH IRTA is typically 2 years, with some candidates are ready to apply after one year. In some occasions, the post-bac just needed to complete college in terms of hours and lab experience, and is able to submit in June-August. The problem is that the NIH LOR would not be very good as they have just arrived into the lab.

Regarding your concern of time wasted doing a post-bac. You are about to embark into a career for the next 50-60 years of your life. An important benefit of the lab research post-bac is immersing yourself in research and finding whether you truly love the lifestyle and challenge. One extra year to be sure prior to getting into 50 years of the stuff (misery, toil, tears, and joy)...
Ok, that makes me feel better. I have ~3k going into my postbacc fellowship. I have been in the lab quite a bit before college (and probably spent an equal amount of time there as in college) so I've kind of had everything thrown at me. As a postbac, I still feel that I am not really working on my exact field of interest (neurodegeneration) and look forward to doing so in my graduate studies. Just hope I get in somewhere where I will be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user