MS Industrial Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
I have been admitted to MS in Industrial pharmacy from St john's University and Long Island University.
Both the universities are in New York and cost almost same.
Can anyone help me out which one is better and why?
which univ has better research opportunities?
Does anyone has idea about on campus jobs/financial aid scenario of these univs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys,
I have been admitted to MS in Industrial pharmacy from St john's University and Long Island University.
Does anyone has idea about on campus jobs/financial aid scenario of these univs?

Thanks.

What would you do with an MS in industrial pharmacy? Do you have a PharmD already and want to get another degree?

I dont have a pharm D. I have got acceptance letters from both the universities. i can get i-20 from both the universities, but I have to join one only.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an international applicant, i have a pharmacy degree, but that is not valid in America.

Sorry, but I looked up those programs and I serisously doubt anyone on this forum will have experience with them. These programs just aren't targeted towards pharmD's.

Sorry, but I looked up those programs and I serisously doubt anyone on this forum will have experience with them. These programs just aren't targeted towards pharmD's.
ok, but I guess people here can tell overall which university is better?
pharmD students of both the universities can share their view about the universities.

hi guys,

Thanks.

No offense.
I have talked to A LOT of international students who came to the US with a bachelor's in pharmacy and went into an MS program thinking that they were going to somehow make it rich.
However, from what I can tell and what they tell me: barely one of them has managed to get a decent job and even then, he is having trouble securing a visa or something and this guy is the smartest of the entire international pool of MS Pharmacy students in my college. Not only that, most of the other students have decided to either return home, get a PhD (stalling), try to find a job in a completely irrelevant field, or worse: stay as an illegal. This happens because a lot of these pharmacy schools just keep on delivering out diplomas like pizza pies at Dominos, speaking of which, one of the international students I know (illegally) works at a Dominos. This fact, coupled with the recession, does not help at all.

Also, as for financial aid: there is almost no direct aid. This is a business. You may hear about getting a GA or something. But, what they don't tell you is the amount of politics that you have to go through just to get a GA.

Spend your time and money somewhere else. You have been warned. Either way, have fun. :laugh:

No offense.
I have talked to A LOT of international students who came to the US with a bachelor's in pharmacy and went into an MS program thinking that they were going to somehow make it rich.
However, from what I can tell and what they tell me: barely one of them has managed to get a decent job and even then, he is having trouble securing a visa or something and this guy is the smartest of the entire international pool of MS Pharmacy students in my college. Not only that, most of the other students have decided to either return home, get a PhD (stalling), try to find a job in a completely irrelevant field, or worse: stay as an illegal. This happens because a lot of these pharmacy schools just keep on delivering out diplomas like pizza pies at Dominos, speaking of which, one of the international students I know (illegally) works at a Dominos. This fact, coupled with the recession, does not help at all.

Also, as for financial aid: there is almost no direct aid. This is a business. You may hear about getting a GA or something. But, what they don't tell you is the amount of politics that you have to go through just to get a GA.

Spend your time and money somewhere else. You have been warned. Either way, have fun. :laugh:

Thanks a lot buddy, and no offense taken.
Bur it would be really helpful, if you could answer my queries.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot buddy, and no offense taken.
Bur it would be really helpful, if you could answer my queries.

Thanks.

As far as I know, St. John's University is a "fuller" university in terms of research and future prospects. Also, please make sure you have the final expense figures for both colleges BEFORE making the choice. Also consider location if necessary. I am assuming that you will be looking for a job nearby as well. Good Luck.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

As far as I know, St. John's University is a "fuller" university in terms of research and future prospects. Also, please make sure you have the final expense figures for both colleges BEFORE making the choice. Also consider location if necessary. I am assuming that you will be looking for a job nearby as well. Good Luck.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks buddy,
Final expenses of both the universities are almost same, so not a problem.
Both are located in New York, st john's is in queens while Long Island univ is in Brooklyn, I have no idea about the cities queens and Brooklyn.

I have searched little bit and found st johns campus is 105 acres while long island-brooklyn is 11 acres.
Job fairs are frequent in Long island(i am not sure about it) and pharmacy college is really old.

and yeah i would be looking for a job as well.

Thanks

thanks buddy,
Final expenses of both the universities are almost same, so not a problem.
Both are located in New York, st john's is in queens while Long Island univ is in Brooklyn, I have no idea about the cities queens and Brooklyn.

I have searched little bit and found st johns campus is 105 acres while long island-brooklyn is 11 acres.
Job fairs are frequent in Long island(i am not sure about it) and pharmacy college is really old.

and yeah i would be looking for a job as well.

Thanks

If the expenses are the same, pick St. John's University.
Better research opportunities, other majors are also present, a more well-known name, and more resources.
However, I should say that both areas are extremely saturated in terms of current jobs and post-graduation job opportunities. BUT: off-campus housing is ample. You will definitely get some apartment within 1-2 miles of the campus.
What exact field in pharmacy are you planning on going into after graduation?

Thanks a lot

sorry i couldn't get you. Field as in what?

As in...what kind of job you want to obtain upon graduation? Also, will you be staying in the US, or moving back home?

As in...what kind of job you want to obtain upon graduation? Also, will you be staying in the US, or moving back home?
Well i would like to get a PhD as well, If that is not possible i would like to work in production section of a pharmaceutical company and move back to my country with some experience in hand.

Well i would like to get a PhD as well, If that is not possible i would like to work in production section of a pharmaceutical company and move back to my country with some experience in hand.

I have a professor that told me that he came to America and got into an M.S. program with hopes of being upgraded to PhD. He did very well and they did upgrade him to PhD. Now he is my professor. Is this similar to what you are looking for?

I have a professor that told me that he came to America and got into an M.S. program with hopes of being upgraded to PhD. He did very well and they did upgrade him to PhD. Now he is my professor. Is this similar to what you are looking for?
Not exactly, right now i am not very much interested in teaching profession, would prefer to have some experience in a company.

okie..got little more confused.

I have heard until and unless you are from top colleges, st johns or long island, its one and the same thing. IS IT SO?

St John's- pros
1) St johns campus is 10 times LIU, So finding on campus jobs might be easy.
2) St johns has better name and fame than LIU.

Long island univ(LIU)- pros
3) There are chances of graduate assistantship in LIU, while I have heard there is no chance of GA in st johns.
4) LIU organizes job fairs, no such thing in St johns.

Anything you guys would like to add/shar/suggest?
Where can i find more research opportunities?

Hi,
I was wondering if any one knows about the Long Island University graduate campus in Rock land. I did my bachelor in pharmacy from India and i am planning to go for masters in Industrial pharmacy program at LIU, Rockland. I am a permanent resident of U.S.A. I would like any one to share information about the Rockland, LIU graduate school and also the opportunities of Industrial pharmacy

okie..got little more confused.

I have heard until and unless you are from top colleges, st johns or long island, its one and the same thing. IS IT SO?

St John's- pros
1) St johns campus is 10 times LIU, So finding on campus jobs might be easy.
2) St johns has better name and fame than LIU.

Long island univ(LIU)- pros
3) There are chances of graduate assistantship in LIU, while I have heard there is no chance of GA in st johns.
4) LIU organizes job fairs, no such thing in St johns.

Anything you guys would like to add/shar/suggest?
Where can i find more research opportunities?

Does anybody knows about the Long Island graduate campus at Rock land.? I am a permanent resident of U.S.A and i am planning to do my masters in Industrial pharmacy at LIU, Rock land. Can any one provide information about the college and also the job opportunities for industrial pharmacy program?

Hi,
I was wondering if any one knows about the Long Island University graduate campus in Rock land. I did my bachelor in pharmacy from India and i am planning to go for masters in Industrial pharmacy program at LIU, Rockland. I am a permanent resident of U.S.A. I would like any one to share information about the Rockland, LIU graduate school and also the opportunities of Industrial pharmacy

LIU is an average private school, dont expect anything big. Especially when it will come to research, all average schools are same.
BTW from where did u do your b.pharm in India?
do you have any other admits and what is gre/toefl?

All the best.