MS (or Dual MS/MBA) Biomedical Engineering After MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyneuron

cyneuron
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So having considered the option of doing a residency in Neurology, i am evaluating the option of MS in Biomedical Engineering (sub-specialty preferably Biomedical Imaging, having clinical research experience in Neuro-imaging and Cancer Imaging or Neuro-engineering track, but not sure about latter as industry applications still seem far ahead).

Reasons for planning such a change in careers are many, few personal and few work related (namely i don't enjoy clinics much, have enjoyed research part a lot, but don't want to do a Phd and few other reasons; will detail out later if someone asks)

So my questions are following :

1. how difficult will it be for an MD (MBBS in my case, but with ECFMG certification) graduate to enter into top 10 (or lets say top 20) MS programs in biomedical engineering ?

After talking to people doing MS BME (engineering graduate, couldn't get to contact anyone from med school doing MS BME), i get the feeling its not only hard for a medico to get into BME, but according to them, it will be even harder to actually go through MS BME which has really heavy engineering curriculum.

they say that MS BME, though an application of engineering in medicine, still involves lot of mathematics and related engineering skill-sets, which a medico has lost contact with for 4-5 years or may be more if he/she didn't has any maths, physics or chem at college level......and this not only becomes a valid point while admission but also a practical point while studying and trying to excel in MS...though i don't worry about the latter since one can work hard to study and refresh or learn new maths stuff....the former point is definitely a point to consider....

So What are you viewpoints on this ? I know the programs of MD-MS and MD-Phd BME exist and are really hot, but that's not even an option for someone like me having done medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cyneuron,

If you find yourself drawn towards medical imaging it certainly makes sense to pursue additional training in some form. However, you need to clarify what you aim to get out of a MS-BME. With a BS in BME and plans to continue BME training in an MSTP, I can speak to what you might expect from a MS-BME. In general, you will typically be expected to be continuing advanced, quantitative engineering courses that assume an engineering undergrad training (i.e. 3 sems calc, Computer Programing, Diff Eq, Lin Alg, Eng Stats, Mechanics, Circuits, Phys Chem, O Chem, Fluids, Fields, Medical Device Design etc.). Depending on your background, you may find that MS-BME curriculum is very challenging and even more, that some to many of these courses will be well outside the field in which you are interested. A MS in engineering is a professional degree in its own right and you may or may not want to put in the extra time and work to have all of the skills associated with it.

As far as admissions go, a BME dept will expect an engineering or quantitative science bachelors (at minimum). Substantial research or industry/product-development experience in a BME-related field would also be expected.

You may need to clarify what you want out of additional training. More general quantitative/engineering training? Product development? Business skills? Research training?

If you are thinking industry, there are entrepreneurial-type graduate programs and post-docs available at many schools and I know that medical students and physicians have gone through them. These are particularly good at schools with strong medical programs and strong engineering/business programs.

If you are associated with a university with a BME dept or have identified a program that a specific school you like and feel like you could get in, I would recommend having a frank conversation with a faculty (or chair) about what your goals are and what you'd like to get out of the program. Because of your unique background, it's likely that a program would need to get to know you well before accepting you anyways, and a discussion could help flesh out what you are looking for.

Hope some of this was a little helpful!

Check out my response to the "QUITTING med school" thread. Dude there had a somewhat similar question, which sparked some discussion that might help you decide. There's a lot more to be gained as an MD + residency than just an MD alone, even for someone interested in BME.