MS or MA in Counseling??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkkhb

Psy4me
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into Marriage and Family Therapy programs in California and I'm trying to figure out if I should do an MA or MS in Counseling? Anyone have any insight about the main differences?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently attended a graduate development conference at a major university and spoke with many of the faculty. From what I was told, the MFT (or frankly any counseling profession, for that matter) market is absolutely FLOODED with workers in California. I'm not saying you can't make it, I'm just handing you their two cents - do with it what you may.

As for the MS vs MA... Do you plan to eventually earn a Ph.D. or do research? If so, the MA option is considered the "academic" route whereas the MS is generally more career-specific. The MA may (or may not) require a thesis while the MS might be more inclined to offer hands-on experience in lieu of a thesis. If you choose to earn a Ph.D., you may be more likely to be accepted with the MA but if you don't care, the MS might help you avoid the thesis, based on your program of choice.

This is all I know. I asked a question here a few days back - it's had nearly 300 views and no replies. I saw that you hadn't had any replies and didn't want you to go without input the way I have, so I'm telling you what I know. Maybe someone else can offer some more insight?

Good luck!

I recently attended a graduate development conference at a major university and spoke with many of the faculty. From what I was told, the MFT (or frankly any counseling profession, for that matter) market is absolutely FLOODED with workers in California. I'm not saying you can't make it, I'm just handing you their two cents - do with it what you may.

As for the MS vs MA... Do you plan to eventually earn a Ph.D. or do research? If so, the MA option is considered the "academic" route whereas the MS is generally more career-specific. The MA may (or may not) require a thesis while the MS might be more inclined to offer hands-on experience in lieu of a thesis. If you choose to earn a Ph.D., you may be more likely to be accepted with the MA but if you don't care, the MS might help you avoid the thesis, based on your program of choice.

This is all I know. I asked a question here a few days back - it's had nearly 300 views and no replies. I saw that you hadn't had any replies and didn't want you to go without input the way I have, so I'm telling you what I know. Maybe someone else can offer some more insight?

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it! I am not interested in research-I've done a bunch during undergrad and realized its just not for me. I believe that understanding research is very important, but it is not the direction I'm going in, so the MS sounds great to me!

As for the flooded market in CA, I will be moving back to Hawaii after going to school in California, so it is not a problem for me-great inside info to know though!

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it! I am not interested in research-I've done a bunch during undergrad and realized its just not for me. I believe that understanding research is very important, but it is not the direction I'm going in, so the MS sounds great to me!

As for the flooded market in CA, I will be moving back to Hawaii after going to school in California, so it is not a problem for me-great inside info to know though!

Thanks again!

You truly do need to look at individual programs. The MA vs MS is highly program specific. I know MS programs that require research/theses and MA programs that do not. Again, review each and every program before you apply--particularly if you so adverse on research.

As for California, the MENTAL HEALTH industry is absolutely flooded. Regardless of your master's level credential. You are likely going to have an easier time of it (not to say that it's going to be easy) with a MSW or MFT, as counseling folks are newer to the arena. If you want to consider portability for relocation elsewhere (think out-of-state), MSW or counseling is usually the better bet. If you're moving to Hawaii, determine which credentials are mostly hired there. Check job listings. Which credentials pop up most? What other requirements might they require for licensure? Will whatever degree you obtain meet those requirements or will you need to pursue additional education to meet them? Go from there.

G'luck.