MS Program for future teacher? Berkely vs SUNY

Started by ElaineC
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ElaineC

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I am writing to ask for your advice regarding selecting an Optometry program. (Forgive me for the lenghtyness) I have gained entrance to both SUNY Optometry as well as Berkeley Optometry. I am torn as to which to choose and am hoping you can please help me make a educated decision. I hope to teach in the future as well as practice and so I am very interested in a earning a MS degree. SUNY Optometry offers a joint MS/OD degree at no additional cost, Berkeley Optometry does not offer this degree however I may be able to apply for their joint Residency/OD degree ( a 2 year program) after I graduate from their OD program. Entrance to that program, however, is contingent on how I perform in Optometry school and there are no guarantees I can get into this program. I am unsure as to which program to select and would really appreciate any thoughts you have on this matter. Basically, I would save at least a year of my life going to SUNY, but I'm unsure if Berkeley's overall program/name/clinic/faculty etc is worth that time. Thanks for your help!
 
Hey everyone, I am writing to ask for your advice regarding selecting an Optometry program. (Forgive me for the lenghtyness) I have gained entrance to both SUNY Optometry as well as Berkeley Optometry. I am torn as to which to choose and am hoping you can please help me make a educated decision. I hope to teach in the future as well as practice and so I am very interested in a earning a MS degree. SUNY Optometry offers a joint MS/OD degree at no additional cost, Berkeley Optometry does not offer this degree however I may be able to apply for their joint Residency/OD degree ( a 2 year program) after I graduate from their OD program. Entrance to that program, however, is contingent on how I perform in Optometry school and there are no guarantees I can get into this program. I am unsure as to which program to select and would really appreciate any thoughts you have on this matter. Basically, I would save at least a year of my life going to SUNY, but I'm unsure if Berkeley's overall program/name/clinic/faculty etc is worth that time. Thanks for your help!

I always go for the buy 1 get 1 free. Why not, if you can get it for free??

In your case I would do SUNY MS/OD, then apply for a residency at Berkeley after OD, MS is achieved.