MS1 and questioning career choice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
prlester said:
being introverted would be a plus in medicine. in school, here, everyone is a hyper nerd with narrowly defined interests. no one would know what to do or where to go without school. As we know school is all about studying, alone. most socializing is about pre-figured topics, like tests.
School is ananthem to what is valued as "cool" in society, but school is a bubble and nothing applies here.
My school counselor actually said i was an introvert. "No, but this environment has made me one".
being an introvert in no way is a negative in medicine. it might be a plutsbecause introverts might not miss socializing as much. Talking to patients is easy. they respect you and have no idea of what is wrong with them. you could tell them anything and they would believe it.

the real question is why do we want to do medicine i am in my first years of school and dont like it. from what i hear of third year, i dont know if it would really be better. someone please enlighten me! also, why is internal medicine considered so bad? how hard is it to do most fellowships there?

I think IM is a good field my father did it about 8 years after graduating medical school in mexico. He got a spot at Mount Siani (it took him a long time to pass the american boards) he was also 35 when he started med school and started a residenct at about 47 then did a cardiology fellowship. It was hard on him physically because he was older but he was greatly respected and well liked. Most dont like IM b/C they wont me millionairs and they take lots of call, but then u should not even want to go into medicine.....I my self would like to go into Family Practice/ IM or CAM
Who knows still have some time. if medicine is what you want go for it !!!

Members don't see this ad.