MS1 Interested in Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scienceguy141

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a current MS1 at a top-40 NIH funded school (not sure if that is relevant or not? I was told that mattered, but have a hard time believing that) that is interested in neurosurgery. I was wondering, have people found pre-clinical coursework performance to be a significant factor looked at by residency directors? The school that I am at is P/F, so it is difficult to evaluate my performance thus far outside of getting the score distributions after some of our exams. Although this school is P/F, I have been told that on the Dean's letter they include whether or not a student was in the top 20th percentile of the class. Like I said, I think things have been going well so far, but if I end up outside of the top 20%, are my hopes of going into neurosurgery gone? Could this be overcome by a strong Step 1 score/research/strong LORs/etc? I am guessing that I will have a better idea of where I stand once I am into my rotations3rd year where I will be graded honors/high pass/pass/etc. We have AOA, but I am trying not to focus on that too much, as part of our selection process is a political process and not just merit based. I have also been contacting research labs and will be starting in a lab at my home institution soon.

Thank you for reading and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1574283854369.png

The above is the program director survey.

You should strive to be exceptional. Do extremely well in STEP, Rotations, Research, preclinical in that approximate order.

If you are being placed in quartiles currently in preclinical , that may be used for your MSPE and may further be used for AOA consideration.

Reactions: 4 users