MS1 summer and MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyspareunia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing USMLE Rx along with coursework during MS1 and have scored ~75% on it so far. I plan to go through Pathoma once and also finish Rx this summer. My question is whether I should do Kaplan Qbank during MS2 and one pass of UWorld during prep time or just do 2+ passes of UWorld. I know that in past years people have said do Rx or Kaplan during MS2 and UWorld during prep time, but lately it seems like the emerging trend is to do UWorld as many times as possible.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

do world and pathoma as much as possible. add goljan tapes if you have more time

So don't bother with Kaplan then?

Is there a lot of USMLE Rx questions you can do with only M1 coursework?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Not a whole lot, but I have been flagging the disciplines as we cover them during M1. Usually I can figure out most questions except for the pharm related ones.

I also pickup a lot of extra information from FC... things that aren't usually covered during M1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wow what are you shooting for... i just played my whole summer and winter break during my 2nd year...

I've been doing USMLE Rx along with coursework during MS1 and have scored ~75% on it so far. I plan to go through Pathoma once and also finish Rx this summer. My question is whether I should do Kaplan Qbank during MS2 and one pass of UWorld during prep time or just do 2+ passes of UWorld. I know that in past years people have said do Rx or Kaplan during MS2 and UWorld during prep time, but lately it seems like the emerging trend is to do UWorld as many times as possible.

What do you guys think?

You should be a doing a clinical research project during the summer. Your Step 1 studying/testing should be done when you're not doing research. You run the risk of peaking too early.

You should be a doing a clinical research project during the summer. Your Step 1 studying/testing should be done when you're not doing research. You run the risk of peaking too early.

I submitted a paper for publication last month and have another paper plus a case report ready for submission as well pending grammatical edits by the Attending. I think 2 pubs plus a case report is enough and I hate research so I have absolutely no motivation to do more than necessary. I'm also working on an undergraduate medical education project that will yield 2-3+ "publications".

I'm only going to complete Pathoma once (just write in the stuff from the videos) and finish up Rx (less than a block per day over the full summer). I'm not doing any kind of hardcore studying. This summer is the only time I'll have to do Rx because next year I'm going to do either Kaplan+UW or UWx2.

wow what are you shooting for... i just played my whole summer and winter break during my 2nd year...

Nothing in particular. I just don't want my step 1 score to close any doors.

its a diff of 5 in 2011, and probably even more now in 2014? hahah

Yeah, my understanding is that Charting Outcomes hasn't been released since 2011 due to some snafu, which I can't remember at the moment.