MS1 Summer? Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdquestion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I recently got "re-interested" in derm. I had been into as a kid given all my personal skin problems and the fact that me and my derm were like :xf:, sort of set the idea aside for awhile, but have come back to it recently after working in the derm specialty clinic at the free clinic my medical school runs. I really like the concept of basically always having a physical finding with a patient consult, the academic nature of derm and all the systems it relates to, and being able to see physical results (sometimes quickly) in the few patients I got to see on follow-up. I'm definitely not set on it (other things interest me, particularly hem/onc, psychiatry, pediatrics), but I've noticeably become more interested in derm over the last few months.

I got to a Top 10 Medical School and have a fair amount of research experience in other areas (4 pubs/abstracts in basic science, 2 first author in High Tier journals...though not derm related). I've already been talking to a faculty member in hematology to do a project in his lab, which sort of relates to my second interest in biotechnology development. I'd basically be developing new gene therapy delivery approaches to correct genetic disorders that affect Huntington's and Sickle Cell Disease patients (both a neuro and blood related project) using iPS/ES cell models and I have a fairly high likelihood of winning an ASH (American Society of Hematology) grant for my research. While not derm specific, regenerative medicine research pretty much touches every field of medicine so the same principles of my project could be applied to say pediatric genetic skin conditions.

Alternatively, I probably could pull a lab stint at another medical school lab in the derm department more focused on skin cancers. I probably would find both projects interesting, though honestly, I feel a bit more drawn to the gene therapy research right now just because it fits into my personal interests outside of what specialty I want to do. In either case, I'd have support and funding to continue this research (basic science) in both cases during my MS2 year.

Any thoughts? Would non-derm research still be impressive to derm residencies? Could I just do some clinical stuff later once I decide on derm?

-Nervous MS1

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys-

I recently got "re-interested" in derm. I had been into as a kid given all my personal skin problems and the fact that me and my derm were like :xf:, sort of set the idea aside for awhile, but have come back to it recently after working in the derm specialty clinic at the free clinic my medical school runs. I really like the concept of basically always having a physical finding with a patient consult, the academic nature of derm and all the systems it relates to, and being able to see physical results (sometimes quickly) in the few patients I got to see on follow-up. I'm definitely not set on it (other things interest me, particularly hem/onc, psychiatry, pediatrics), but I've noticeably become more interested in derm over the last few months.

I got to a Top 10 Medical School and have a fair amount of research experience in other areas (4 pubs/abstracts in basic science, 2 first author in High Tier journals...though not derm related). I've already been talking to a faculty member in hematology to do a project in his lab, which sort of relates to my second interest in biotechnology development. I'd basically be developing new gene therapy delivery approaches to correct genetic disorders that affect Huntington's and Sickle Cell Disease patients (both a neuro and blood related project) using iPS/ES cell models and I have a fairly high likelihood of winning an ASH (American Society of Hematology) grant for my research. While not derm specific, regenerative medicine research pretty much touches every field of medicine so the same principles of my project could be applied to say pediatric genetic skin conditions.

Alternatively, I probably could pull a lab stint at another medical school lab in the derm department more focused on skin cancers. I probably would find both projects interesting, though honestly, I feel a bit more drawn to the gene therapy research right now just because it fits into my personal interests outside of what specialty I want to do. In either case, I'd have support and funding to continue this research (basic science) in both cases during my MS2 year.

Any thoughts? Would non-derm research still be impressive to derm residencies? Could I just do some clinical stuff later once I decide on derm?

-Nervous MS1

So this will differ from department to department but I can tell you how our department runs things.

Non-derm research is still as impressive to us as derm research provided you can talk intelligently and enthusiastically about it at interviews (it has the added benefit of being free from questioning as our faculty will likely know little about non-derm research)

That being said, if you are certain derm is what you are interested in, the best thing would obviously be derm research and our department does tend to value basic science research over clinical (and again, you will find that different departments will give you different answers)

To sum up my wordiness, I would say go for the gene therapy research if that is what you are truly passionate about. No need to lock yourself into a derm-related project just for the sake of dermatology (especially this early on in med school)

Members don't see this ad :)
So this will differ from department to department but I can tell you how our department runs things.

Non-derm research is still as impressive to us as derm research provided you can talk intelligently and enthusiastically about it at interviews (it has the added benefit of being free from questioning as our faculty will likely know little about non-derm research)

That being said, if you are certain derm is what you are interested in, the best thing would obviously be derm research and our department does tend to value basic science research over clinical (and again, you will find that different departments will give you different answers)

To sum up my wordiness, I would say go for the gene therapy research if that is what you are truly passionate about. No need to lock yourself into a derm-related project just for the sake of dermatology (especially this early on in med school)

asmallchild, in that case, do you recommend doing basic science research over clinical?

asmallchild, in that case, do you recommend doing basic science research over clinical?

It matters more whether you can show results (publications) or not. I mentor medical students, and although I personally like basic science, I give them clinical/chart review projects to work on since they are well-defined and shorter. If you can't get publications from a year in the lab, then I would do a clinical based research project.

It matters more whether you can show results (publications) or not. I mentor medical students, and although I personally like basic science, I give them clinical/chart review projects to work on since they are well-defined and shorter. If you can't get publications from a year in the lab, then I would do a clinical based research project.

This is a good point too, try and be upfront with the research mentor about what you want from the project (including publications)

Our program doesnt put as high a value on publications as we produce a ton and realize how much work and preptime needs to be placed into a publication. We understand not all students can expect to have a paper produced neatly within a 1 yr time period.

The most important thing for me on the interview trail was being able to talk intelligently and enthusiastically about the research (particularly if it is in dermatology)

My personal preference is basic science research but I do realize some people recoil from this in horror. Clinical research is usually a bit easier to get a publication in too in terms of how much time you have to invest. All in all, I'd say go for the one that interests you more.

from your guys' posts, it kind of sounds like it's expected for applicants to have taken a year off for research, but i've heard that the majority of applicants actually don't? i mean, it's pretty much impossible to publish in basic science within the 2 months allotted for summer after 1st year.. :confused:

from your guys' posts, it kind of sounds like it's expected for applicants to have taken a year off for research, but i've heard that the majority of applicants actually don't? i mean, it's pretty much impossible to publish in basic science within the 2 months allotted for summer after 1st year.. :confused:

research dedication typically entails working more than two summer months. i took time off.

i noticed that the dedicated dermatology applicants that did not want to take a year off, typically ended up working as an MSIII whenever possible (ie they were a true derm lab rat while off on their medicine golden weekends). they also made smart research project decisions given their program's opportunities.

an old but goodie: if you really want to do something, do it.

Last edited:
Since you are an MS1 you need to consider a lot more than just research. I am of a different mind on research than other people on the board here. You need some research to get into Derm, but you don't need massive amounts. Your priorities should be No. 1 Rock Step 1; No. 2 Honor all your Classes; No. 3 Get AOA (which accomplishing No. 1&2 should take care of); and No. 4 Find an Academic Derm mentor that you trust with your life.

All of those things mean more than research in terms of your application.

That being said you already have more general research than most people applying to derm. SO you've already got that box checked. In light of that, I say do whatever you think will give you more derm-related publications. That will also put you in a better place to find and cultivate No. 4 above.

Since you are an MS1 you need to consider a lot more than just research. I am of a different mind on research than other people on the board here. You need some research to get into Derm, but you don't need massive amounts. Your priorities should be No. 1 Rock Step 1; No. 2 Honor all your Classes; No. 3 Get AOA (which accomplishing No. 1&2 should take care of); and No. 4 Find an Academic Derm mentor that you trust with your life.

All of those things mean more than research in terms of your application.

That being said you already have more general research than most people applying to derm. SO you've already got that box checked. In light of that, I say do whatever you think will give you more derm-related publications. That will also put you in a better place to find and cultivate No. 4 above.

by academic derm mentor, do you mean a faculty member or strictly someone that does basic science research? i'm thinking of seeking out our residency director who does clinical research but no basic science research.

by academic derm mentor, do you mean a faculty member or strictly someone that does basic science research? i'm thinking of seeking out our residency director who does clinical research but no basic science research.

both. you need diff. types of mentors.

while I realize minimal research by no means offsets great board scores, etc....but would significant research (1 year HHMI, lit reviews/case reports with top of the field dermatologists) resulting in >10 pubs/posters, several in top tier journals (JAAD, archives) help provide like a 10 pt buffer on ur USMLE or obviate the need for AOA status? I guess thats the route (emphasizing research that is) im taking thinking (will hopefully have about ~10 derm-related pubs by the time I apply) given how competitive it is at my top 20 med school for AOA and honors...as far as board scores, I presume 240+ is safe in my shoes

Well...my med school doesn't have AOA or class rank...and no grades for MS1/MS2. Step 1 is definitely on my radar. As my advisor says "Just shoot for a 260, so you end up getting at least a 240. Then it doesn't matter what you end up choosing to want to do, you'll be competitive for it." Haha, not sure how realistic that is though :)

I think I've decided on the following....
(1) Take my basic science research position in a non-derm area. I just applied for a research trainee grant that will make my summer earnings amazing (and potentially helps me pay off some my loans). The P.I. is really chill, I'm being given the opportunity to have my own research project that takes the lab in an entirely new direction from what it's done in the past (so independent work), etc. Because of this (uncharted territories in particular)... I don't think there will be a guaranteed publication out of this anytime soon (I know the speed of basic science research in stem cell biology, 1 year isn't enough for something big). But, I like the idea of ownership of my project and exploring a new territory, so I think the project fits well in the sense of a "learning experience" I'll also be able to continue on this project, funded, until the end of my MS2 when I start studying for Step 1.

(2) I've decided to take on a side research project that requires much less time with the Head of the Derm Department. I'll be basically doing a patient oriented, ethics study on a new clinical research project he's starting initiating the idea of cell replacement/gene therapy repair for pediatric skin disorders. This sort of fits with my interested in academic, medical derm (less so cosmetics)....plus I'll be getting to complement my science-focused research with some more patient interaction and "humanities"-esque thinking.

Sounds good?

Well...my med school doesn't have AOA or class rank...and no grades for MS1/MS2. Step 1 is definitely on my radar. As my advisor says "Just shoot for a 260, so you end up getting at least a 240. Then it doesn't matter what you end up choosing to want to do, you'll be competitive for it." Haha, not sure how realistic that is though :)

I think I've decided on the following....
(1) Take my basic science research position in a non-derm area. I just applied for a research trainee grant that will make my summer earnings amazing (and potentially helps me pay off some my loans). The P.I. is really chill, I'm being given the opportunity to have my own research project that takes the lab in an entirely new direction from what it's done in the past (so independent work), etc. Because of this (uncharted territories in particular)... I don't think there will be a guaranteed publication out of this anytime soon (I know the speed of basic science research in stem cell biology, 1 year isn't enough for something big). But, I like the idea of ownership of my project and exploring a new territory, so I think the project fits well in the sense of a "learning experience" I'll also be able to continue on this project, funded, until the end of my MS2 when I start studying for Step 1.

(2) I've decided to take on a side research project that requires much less time with the Head of the Derm Department. I'll be basically doing a patient oriented, ethics study on a new clinical research project he's starting initiating the idea of cell replacement/gene therapy repair for pediatric skin disorders. This sort of fits with my interested in academic, medical derm (less so cosmetics)....plus I'll be getting to complement my science-focused research with some more patient interaction and "humanities"-esque thinking.

Sounds good?

If you can get all that done and get a publication out of the Derm one....I'd just do case reports...something well defined and small to get your pubs out while not having them take a lot of time from your main project.

YES...im no longer on probationary statuz...can a genius derm resident answer my question as well

lol comedone that didnt answer my question dawg

sorry, G. i'm not a genuis derm resident. :D