MS1 Summer Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dunks94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering how realistic it is to do research at a school other than your own in the summer between the 1st and 2nd years. I'm considering going to school in a diff. city than my SO and having at least 1 summer together would factor into my decision. I would want to conduct some kind of research in her city during that summer. How plausible in this. Thanks so much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I am also in the same boat and curious about this possibility :) I found this thread which has some advice (it is about undergrad research but still applicable I think) - Research at home institution vs. outside institution

From what I've heard from current med students, it is totally possible to find research at other institutions, but the tough part comes from how short summers are - it is difficult to really produce anything publishable/note-worthy in just 8-10 weeks at a new institution without promise of carrying on the work. If you can work remotely on your projects after the summer, that would be a different story. Just my 2 cents!

I wouldn't say it's an absolute certainty, but it can be done. It depends on your qualifications as well: Do you have prior research experience? Are you coming from an MD or DO school? Will you have contacts at your university that might know someone at another university? These will almost certainly impact your ability to find a position.

My SO was working in another city for the summer and I was able to find a physician researcher in that city with multiple projects already underway (with fellows and residents working on them mostly). I was able to hop onto a project and I was able to churn out a publication and a few posters from the 2 months I was there. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that it took me quite a few emails (probably 50+) to researchers all over the place before anyone got back to me with an actual opening. So while possible, I'm not sure how likely it is that you will find a position in the one specific city you're aiming for.

Reactions: 1 user
Best to ask ahead of time. We have stipulations that no outside students do research outside of observorships. Probably data analysis is okay, but if it requires interacting with patients or handling animals, the university and PI have to take responsibility for visiting student if something were to go amiss, and generally speaking, it is not worth the effort or liability.

Reactions: 1 user