MS3 - questions about Ob/Gyn residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mdstudent08

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody,

I am an MS3 and I have gotten really interested in Ob/Gyn. I was wondering what my chances of getting into a university program were. I am a pretty average student (mostly passes, couple of HP's). My step 1 is 217, also pretty average. I did only a couple of extracurricular activities that each lasted about a month. I do have some endocrine research under my belt (second author of two pubs and six abstracts); this was done before med school.

I am really interested in knowing what my chances are especially for the New York and Philadelphia programs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
Hi. With your step 1 score, I think you might get interviews from most of university programs in Philadelphia (there are HUP, Jeff, Drexel, and Temple; and many great community programs). I looked at the APGO webpage, and looked at the 'average Step' scores, and they looked all reasonable. However, I don't know how old this scores are, expecially after this year's match being so competitive.
If you really want to get into a specific program, you should try to do an elective there. Also make sure that you get a good letter from your chair if you can.
 
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have access to the APGO website. I was wondering if you could post up the average scores for the New York City and Philadelphia programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have access to the APGO website. I was wondering if you could post up the average scores for the New York City and Philadelphia programs.

Go to your OB/GYN chair/clerkship director - every school should have a user log-on and password, and they should be able to give that to you. Mine as well get it now as it helped me immensely during the interview process!
 
What types of electives would you all recommend for upcoming 4th years? Anyone plan a nice and lite 4th year? Then again, it is SDN, so you all prolly worked your arses off. 🙂 Thanks for any advice.
 
What types of electives would you all recommend for upcoming 4th years? Anyone plan a nice and lite 4th year? Then again, it is SDN, so you all prolly worked your arses off. 🙂 Thanks for any advice.

I think my best rotation of 4th year hands down was the Ob Ultrasound course - I got to work 1:1 with a great MFM/Geneticist who managed to teach me how to see parts in that sea of shades of gray... I can even find kidneys now! Plus, many programs (the one at my home school included) don't have a formal training for you in ob ultrasounds, so you basically have to learn on the job.
Our school requires an inpatient and outpatient selective... neither of which has any Ob/gyn choices - so I did SICU for my inpatient will be doing a Pedi Genetic/Metabolic clinic for my outpatient.
I did an Ob externship at my home school - I just needed time to work with the people writing my letters so they saw me in action a little more.
Another great class for me was the Advanced Anatomy course (you TA gross lab and get more in depth discussions/demonstrations of surgical approaches, etc)... it finally cemented my understanding of the UGD! Downside- you smell like gross lab for yet another month! And be sure to get in for pelvis/perineum - that was combined with upper extremity for us - I got stuck doing a prosection on the brachial plexus of all things😱 !
We have a pharm class that was great hours wise but I didn't get too much out of it. I set up an individual rotation with a developmental pediatrician - it was a fun rotation in that I learned a ton about being a better parent, both to my special needs child and my typical one. Probably not much help for ob/gyn, but great for life.
I took a month off in July to take Step 2 and recoup from 3rd year, and 1/2 Nov and all of Dec off for interviews.
Hope it helps!