SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MS3 with subpar step1..chances?

Discussion in 'Plastic Surgery' started by turboE36, Sep 18, 2014.

1. turboE36

turboE36 2+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2014

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lackli

lackli 5+ Year Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Let me direct you to the nrmp charting outcomes pdf. It should answer some of your questions.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Is your score going to mean plastic surgery is out of the question? Not really. 16/25 people matched last year with a score of 230-240. It doesn't get a whole lot better for the 240-250 range so I wouldn't beat yourself up about your score.

Some programs have absolute cutoffs and a lot of them will list their cutoffs on the Freida website. I think for a lot of programs however the cutoff is more than in the 220 range. It might have changed since when I applied.

Also looking at the NRMP pdf, ENT is relatively comparable in competitiveness. I wouldn't change your career goals just based on a step score. Especially if you have geared yourself more to plastics.

Would a higher step score have helped you? Sure, probably. However it's not all of your application. Performance on your subi rotations, letters, research all factor in. Personally I think if you are able to do well on your away rotations or home subi and come off as a hardworking, intelligent, cool person to be around then that will have a much bigger influence on your matching or not.

4. tennesseejed

tennesseejed Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2003
    New York, NY
    Just basing this on board scores is not a good reason to switch to ENT. As previous poster mentioned its pretty close in terms of competitiveness.

5. rodmichael82

rodmichael82 2+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Dude you must be clueless to be using ENT as a backup for Plastic surgery. Both are equally competitive. This year in 2014 outcomes ENT (248) had a higher step 1 average than Plastic surgery (245) and I only mention that since you're obsessing over step 1 scores.

southernIM likes this.
  6. SouthernSurgeon

SouthernSurgeon Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2008
    As the others have said, the difference in competitiveness is marginal.

I'd plan on going with whichever field interests you more, with a liberal back up plan of general surgery programs.