MS3 with subpar step1..chances?

Discussion in 'Plastic Surgery' started by turboE36, 09.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. turboE36

turboE36 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 02.12.15
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lackli

lackli 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let me direct you to the nrmp charting outcomes pdf. It should answer some of your questions.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Is your score going to mean plastic surgery is out of the question? Not really. 16/25 people matched last year with a score of 230-240. It doesn't get a whole lot better for the 240-250 range so I wouldn't beat yourself up about your score.

Some programs have absolute cutoffs and a lot of them will list their cutoffs on the Freida website. I think for a lot of programs however the cutoff is more than in the 220 range. It might have changed since when I applied.

Also looking at the NRMP pdf, ENT is relatively comparable in competitiveness. I wouldn't change your career goals just based on a step score. Especially if you have geared yourself more to plastics.

Would a higher step score have helped you? Sure, probably. However it's not all of your application. Performance on your subi rotations, letters, research all factor in. Personally I think if you are able to do well on your away rotations or home subi and come off as a hardworking, intelligent, cool person to be around then that will have a much bigger influence on your matching or not.

4. tennesseejed

tennesseejed Member 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just basing this on board scores is not a good reason to switch to ENT. As previous poster mentioned its pretty close in terms of competitiveness.

5. rodmichael82

rodmichael82 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dude you must be clueless to be using ENT as a backup for Plastic surgery. Both are equally competitive. This year in 2014 outcomes ENT (248) had a higher step 1 average than Plastic surgery (245) and I only mention that since you're obsessing over step 1 scores.

southernIM likes this.
  6. SouthernSurgeon

SouthernSurgeon Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    As the others have said, the difference in competitiveness is marginal.

I'd plan on going with whichever field interests you more, with a liberal back up plan of general surgery programs.

About the ads